Is Pacelink the only place to buy preconfigured HD's?

Old November 9th 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
WorcsBoy

Default Is Pacelink the only place to buy preconfigured HD's?

Hi all,
I am thinking og upgrading my Tivo.

Is pacelink the besr place to buy my drive from - or do you know of anywhere
else?

Cheers in advance

Ad

--
"You're terrible Muriel" - Jonie Heslop, from Muriel's Wedding, 1995

Old November 10th 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

WorcsBoy wrote:

I am thinking og upgrading my Tivo.

It isn't hard to DIY it.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/tez5
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Old November 18th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
WorcsBoy

Hi there,

I have searched the web and I have a copy of Hinsdales how to... to add an
extra tivo HD but I have to admit it does sound quite technical to do this.
I have installed a cd/dvd writer into my pc, but this backing up of hard
drives sounds really difficult.
Am i looking in the right place on how to do this?

Cheers
Ad

Old November 19th 03, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Yannick

Yes, Hinsdales guide is A.OK !

Your basically booting into a unix environment and running a few basic
commands, copying the tivo image from the old drive to the new drive.

Q. Why add an extra drive ? Just get a 120Gb drive and have a single
drive unit. This way there is less chance for hardware failure, 2
disk's means twice the risk of failure. 120Gb gives around 60 hrs at
high quality setting.

Phil

Old November 19th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Geoff Winkless

Yannick wrote:
Yes, Hinsdales guide is A.OK !

Your basically booting into a unix environment and running a few basic
commands, copying the tivo image from the old drive to the new drive.

Just to add my 2 pennoth

I recently got a couple of 7200rpm Deskstar 120GB drives from ebuyer (I paid
extra for the 8MB cache ones because they have a 3yr manufacturer warranty)
and have only bothered to install one: the list of suggestions is already
wayyyyy too long for me to ever consider watching it all.

I'd never upgraded a TiVo drive before and, like the OP, was somewhat
apprehensive about the level of difficulty: however I installed the drives
on the main channel, booted using the tivo boot CD, downloaded the latest
version of mfstools (v2?) on floppy (this is supposed to work better with UK
tivos) and just told it to copy the whole lot and left it overnight. It's
worked flawlessly since.

I'd definitely recommend DIY.

Incidentally the drive works brilliantly, and even though there's 9 or 10
pages of programmes in the Now Showing there's no slowdown at all, in fact
if anything the machine is _more_ responsive than it used to be (I'm running
TiVoweb and the softpadding hack). The temperature is still listed as
"normal" and the noise levels are unnoticeable.

Geoff