Tivo capabilities

Old November 3rd 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Roger Gammans

Default Tivo capabilities

Hi

I'm considering buying a 2nd user tivo but I since I will have
to sleep in the same room it will live in I'm a little worried
about any running noise it might make.

Does it not park the harddrives when not in use? I also note from
some of the upgrading instructions that it has a case fan , does
this run the whole time.

Also can I command it to dial a '0' to get and outside line before
it does it subscription updates, without going through the hacking
instructions. - Not that I mind doint that I will probably any since
I know my way around linux and a spare linux box is always useful ;-) -
but I would be eventually putting on the home lan , and I want it up
and running quickly and then I get clever.

Finally I suppose all of the other PVR options in the uk are (pace
/ sky plus / Toshiba RDXS30SB) are closed platforms?

TTFN
--
Roger. Home| http://www.sandman.uklinux.net/
Master of Peng Shui. (Ancient oriental art of Penguin Arranging)
Old November 3rd 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
The dog from that film you saw

"Roger Gammans" wrote in message
Hi

I'm considering buying a 2nd user tivo but I since I will have
to sleep in the same room it will live in I'm a little worried
about any running noise it might make.

i sleep in the same room as one and to be honest even in the dead of night i
don't hear it.
if i get up close and hold my ear near it then sure - but otherwise not.

--
Gareth
quote of the day

Old November 3rd 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Roger Gammans

In article , [email protected] wrote:
Roger Gammans wrote in
Does it not park the harddrives when not in use? I also note from
some of the upgrading instructions that it has a case fan , does
this run the whole time.

The hard drive is always in use because of the live buffer.

Huh? . How does it know which channel to buffer, most consumer
electronics only have a single RF stage, - those that do have more
make more of a feature of it than I've seen of the tivo.

I'm not going to know what side I missing something on, if I don't
know it on in advance, and if I did I set it to record.

Of course what I really like is DTT PVR which records the whole
bitstream from a multiplex, and decides what to keep from it later.

But I've opnly just seen the SAA7134 evalution board which could
be suitable for this, the previous card I saw will much superior
in the digital section had no RF stage - which addmittedly a
thompson DTT stb could always donate ;-).

As for the
noise, I guess it depends on how sensitive your ears are.

Um. Dunno, I found my VHS machine just enough to be disturbing
in the past. I don't even consider leaving my computer on - but
then it is quite a noisy one.

The standard HD
is audible when seeking, although it's quite muffled. I had a 120Gb Samsung
in mine which is one of the quietest drives around.

Well, I'm planning on upgrading anyway so I can chose a quiet
drive I suppose.

TTFN
Old November 4th 03, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Roger Gammans wrote:

The hard drive is always in use because of the live buffer.

Huh? . How does it know which channel to buffer,

The Tivo is always on and always recording the last channel selected,
when not recording something scheduled. If the slight hard drive noise
bothers you then just pull the mains plug out overnight. The fan comes
on as needed.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/tez5
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old November 4th 03, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Angus Rae

Roger Gammans wrote:
In article , [email protected] wrote:
Roger Gammans wrote in
Does it not park the harddrives when not in use? I also note from
some of the upgrading instructions that it has a case fan , does
this run the whole time.

The hard drive is always in use because of the live buffer.

Huh? . How does it know which channel to buffer, most consumer
electronics only have a single RF stage, - those that do have more
make more of a feature of it than I've seen of the tivo.

Note that it's the "live buffer" - i.e., it's the channel you are
currently watching via the "Live TV" button (or that you were last
watching, or that the TiVo last recorded from). It stores the last 30
minutes at all times, so if you decide to pause whatever is currently on
you can leave it for 30 minutes before it will automatically resume or
you can decide to record the entire programme at any time up to 30
minutes into it.

It does this even when in standby (which only actually has two real
effects; it turns off the video output stage, and tells the TiVo that it
can start recording suggestions, if you have that option turned on,
straight away rather than waiting until it hasn't seen you use the
remote for a while).

I run a standard unexpanded TiVo in my bedroom and happily sleep -
they're really pretty quiet.

If you want further information, a good place to start/ask is
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

--
Angus G Rae Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team University of Edinburgh

Old November 4th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mark Ingle

Roger Gammans wrote:

Hi

I'm considering buying a 2nd user tivo but I since I will have
to sleep in the same room it will live in I'm a little worried
about any running noise it might make.

I have my TiVo in my bedroom, and when it had the original
Quantum/Maxtor drive, I could hear it when it was very quiet, but one
got used to the noise. Now that I have upgraded the drive with a Samsung
SpinPoint, I don't notice any noise; I suppose the fan (which does run
constantly at a low speed) makes a tiny bit of noise, but I don't notice
it.