Turbonet - what would it do for me?

Old October 31st 03, 12:25 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mugwump

Default Turbonet - what would it do for me?

Hello,

I'm considering buying a Turbonet card - the main feature of interest would
be the possiblity of recieving programme-info updates via broadband rather
than dial-up. Does it offer such a feature for uk owners?

Cheers

Old October 31st 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Mugwump wrote:

I'm considering buying a Turbonet card - the main feature of interest would
be the possiblity of recieving programme-info updates via broadband rather
than dial-up. Does it offer such a feature for uk owners?

It does, though this feature is of relatively little interest to UK
users as the phone call is free for them.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old October 31st 03, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Peter Bell

In message
Jomtien wrote:

Mugwump wrote:

I'm considering buying a Turbonet card - the main feature of interest would
be the possiblity of recieving programme-info updates via broadband rather
than dial-up. Does it offer such a feature for uk owners?

It does, though this feature is of relatively little interest to UK
users as the phone call is free for them.

.... except that the TiVo doesn't then grab the phone line (oh, and in
my case, the modem chips on one of my TiVos gave up the ghost some time
ago). Without the network access, that TiVo would be relatively
useless.

--
Peter Bell -
Old October 31st 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mugwump

so, with Turbonet card, I could do away with my practicaly-redundant phone
line?

What about the subscription? Would I need to continue paying Sky for the
privilege?

Cheers
Mug

Old October 31st 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Zomaar

"Mugwump" wrote in message
so, with Turbonet card, I could do away with my practicaly-redundant phone
line?

What about the subscription? Would I need to continue paying Sky for the
privilege?

Cheers
Mug

Mr Wump,

You can't cancel your phone line, because your broadband uses it...

Sky and Tivo subs are 2 seperate things, you pay Sky sub for the programme
content, you pay Tivo for the listings.

With the turbonet card, you not only get faster access/downloads of listings
from Tivo without tying up your phone line, you also get things like remote
access to your Tivo over the net, the ability to send messages to your TV
screen from the other side of the world,easy access from your PC to upload
new logos etc,etc

HTH, Ali

Old October 31st 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mugwump

"Zomaar" wrote in message

You can't cancel your phone line, because your broadband uses it...

Not my cable BB...

Sky and Tivo subs are 2 seperate things, you pay Sky sub for the programme
content, you pay Tivo for the listings.

I don't have Sky - but my Tivo subscription payments go to Sky... not
exactly my choice.

With the turbonet card, you not only get faster access/downloads of

listings
from Tivo without tying up your phone line, you also get things like

remote
access to your Tivo over the net, the ability to send messages to your TV
screen from the other side of the world,easy access from your PC to upload
new logos etc,etc

Thats all groovy - but I really want to be sure I can get UK schedule
updates, via NTL Broadband, and axe my phone-line in confidence for the
future.

Cheers
Stephen

Old October 31st 03, 11:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Peter Bell

In message
"Mugwump" wrote:

"Zomaar" wrote in message
Sky and Tivo subs are 2 seperate things, you pay Sky sub for the programme
content, you pay Tivo for the listings.

I don't have Sky - but my Tivo subscription payments go to Sky... not
exactly my choice.

Yes, you will still need to pay your TiVo subscription. However, I
paid a lifetime subscription for both my TiVos - I reckon I'm quids in
by now.

[Snip]

Thats all groovy - but I really want to be sure I can get UK schedule
updates, via NTL Broadband, and axe my phone-line in confidence for the
future.

I don't see why it shouldn't work over NTL. I get the UK schedule
updates over ADSL.

--
Peter Bell -
Old November 1st 03, 06:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Mugwump wrote:

I don't have Sky - but my Tivo subscription payments go to Sky..

Why? I paid Tivo, not Sky. Why didn't you buy a lifetime sub anyway?

but I really want to be sure I can get UK schedule
updates, via NTL Broadband,

You can.

Old November 1st 03, 06:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Peter Bell wrote:

It does, though this feature is of relatively little interest to UK
users as the phone call is free for them.

... except that the TiVo doesn't then grab the phone line

It generally only calls in the middle of the night. You can also
decide when you want to the call to be made and unplug the unit the
rest of the time.

(oh, and in
my case, the modem chips on one of my TiVos gave up the ghost some time
ago). Without the network access, that TiVo would be relatively
useless.

Fair enough.

Old November 1st 03, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Iain Miller

"Mugwump" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm considering buying a Turbonet card - the main feature of interest

would
be the possiblity of recieving programme-info updates via broadband rather
than dial-up. Does it offer such a feature for uk owners?

Yes although I found it a bit of a fiddle to get that to work but did
eventually. The biggest bonus from having a Turbonet is the the ability to
run Tivoweb. I use that for cleaning up more than anything because you can
do mass tag & delete with it - much quicker than deleting via the RC. May
not be such an issue unless you've upgraded the didks - my Tivo has 2x120Gb
in it so it records a lot & subsequently I delete quite a lot without ever
watching it. Its nice though cos periodically it picks up some good
programming I would have otherwise missed.

One other thing it does is allow you to undelete which I've used once or
twice to good effect.

rgds

I.