Using Tivo with Sky Plus

Old October 18th 03, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
fatboy

Default Using Tivo with Sky Plus

Can anyone either provide or point me in the direction of some details on
how these two units work together.

Are there any conflicts between the two that I should be aware of, or does
Tivo just treat it like any other digibox.

Don't suppose you can get Tivo to just use one of the tuners, leaving Sky
Plus to use the other. That would be too convenient!

Main reason for upgrade is the S-video socket, the Digital output, twin
tuners, better recording quality and the red dot removal. And the relatively
cheap price, now that the sub has gone.

I'd love to ditch the Tivo if Sky plus was anywhere near as good, but the
main benefit of the Tivo for me is the comprehensive Season Passes on any
channel. Sky Plus has series links that are a bit ****, and only on the main
channels (excl the likes of Hallmark and SciFi that I use extensively -
anyone know of a full list of all the programmes that are included in series
links?). And Tivo is just kinda great really, and nirvana would be the Tivo
functionality on a Sky+ box. I'm living in dreamland, baby!

TIA

Paul

Old October 19th 03, 06:56 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

"fatboy" wrote:

Are there any conflicts between the two that I should be aware of, or does
Tivo just treat it like any other digibox.

The Tivo will control the Sky+ and there are few conflicts.

Don't suppose you can get Tivo to just use one of the tuners, leaving Sky
Plus to use the other. That would be too convenient!

The Tivo will control tuner 1 of the Sky+ and this is the only tuner
that has a video output. Your problems will start when you want to
watch a recording on Sky+ whilst the Tivo records something else: you
can't, it won't work.

Main reason for upgrade is the S-video socket, the Digital output, twin
tuners, better recording quality and the red dot removal. And the relatively
cheap price, now that the sub has gone.

Your Tivo will remove the red dot also, either in software or with a
cheap add-on gadget. Personally if I wanted to have a Sky+ and a Tivo
then I would invest in a mirror sub and give the Tivo its own digibox.
This is the only effective way of doing this.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old October 19th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
PhilÅ

Don't forget when the latest SW downloads onto the Sky+ box, it will duel
record.

So if your Sky+ is recording two items, then your TiVo decides to change a
channel, the sky box will pop up a prompt asking you to select the recording
to cancel.

I took the plunge, sold the TiVo with 120GB and lifetime subs for £550 and
moved across, initially I was disappointed, but have got used to it and
could not live without it, upgraded to a 120GB, and have loads of space,
Dolby 5.1, and much better picture quality.

Old October 20th 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Sean Black

In article , fatboy
writes
Can anyone either provide or point me in the direction of some details on
how these two units work together.

Are there any conflicts between the two that I should be aware of, or does
Tivo just treat it like any other digibox.

No problems here.

Don't suppose you can get Tivo to just use one of the tuners, leaving Sky
Plus to use the other. That would be too convenient!

You can't watch anything on the Sky + while the TiVo is recording.
Although if your watching something on the + and TiVo wants to record
something, it just changes the channel as normal, and the + playback
stops, so it's not a major problem.

Main reason for upgrade is the S-video socket, the Digital output, twin
tuners, better recording quality and the red dot removal. And the relatively
cheap price, now that the sub has gone.

I'd love to ditch the Tivo if Sky plus was anywhere near as good, but the
main benefit of the Tivo for me is the comprehensive Season Passes on any
channel. Sky Plus has series links that are a bit ****, and only on the main
channels (excl the likes of Hallmark and SciFi that I use extensively -
anyone know of a full list of all the programmes that are included in series
links?). And Tivo is just kinda great really, and nirvana would be the Tivo
functionality on a Sky+ box. I'm living in dreamland, baby!

Had Sky+ for about a month now, it's great for the rare occasions when
there are two things on at the same time that I want to see and aren't
repeated, other than that I still use the TiVo the most. I find it so
much more convenient to set up season passes and let it get on with it,
plus the better search facility to find things. Unless something is on
in the very near future, I find it a right PITA to record something on
the +. The A-Z search with only the first letter, and only the first
instance of the particular programme, other than that it's a matter of
just scrolling through page after page of listings.

As you say a TiVo/Sky+ hybrid, with a bigger HD would be just about
perfect.
--
Sean Black