Automatic "soft" padding on the TiVo

Old October 13th 03, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stuart

Default Automatic "soft" padding on the TiVo

I have written a programme that runs in the background on the TiVo which
implements "soft" padding. I.e., the recording time is extended only if that
would not cause a clash with a subsequent recording.

This means that TiVo will correctly deal with programmes on BBC 2 and ITV 1.

: )

More details he

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=136658

Stuart

Old October 13th 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Peter Bell

In message
"Stuart" wrote:

I have written a programme that runs in the background on the TiVo which
implements "soft" padding. I.e., the recording time is extended only if that
would not cause a clash with a subsequent recording.

This means that TiVo will correctly deal with programmes on BBC 2 and ITV 1.

: )

More details he

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=136658

Great stuff. Thanks for your hardwork - I'll install it soon.

A silly suggestion, but is there a possibility of making the pad time
different for different channels? I ask this because I have found that
ITV tends to overrun longer than BBC, and I have been in the habit of
using 5 minutes pad on everything except ITV where I tend to add 15!

However, the option of using 7, 8 or 10 minutes pad will make life
easier - the gap between 5 and 15 for hard padding is uncomfortably
large.

--
Peter Bell -
Old October 13th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Trooper

In article ,
says...
In message
"Stuart" wrote:

I have written a programme that runs in the background on the TiVo which
implements "soft" padding. I.e., the recording time is extended only if that
would not cause a clash with a subsequent recording.

This means that TiVo will correctly deal with programmes on BBC 2 and ITV 1.

: )

More details he

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=136658

Great stuff. Thanks for your hardwork - I'll install it soon.

Indeed, however I have no idea whether I'll be able to use it or not :-)

I have an upgraded Tivo with 2 disks from Pacelink, does this count as a
hacked box? Will I just be able to attach the serial cable, follow the
instructions and then put the box back under my tv and leave it do its
thing? I'm assuming that I won't need to connect it back up to my PC
each time I reboot the Tivo to restart the job.

Have you talked to the Tivo developers about your work, no chance of
this being an official patch I guess?

cheers

T.

Old October 13th 03, 03:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stuart

"Peter Bell" wrote in message

Great stuff. Thanks for your hardwork - I'll install it soon.

A silly suggestion, but is there a possibility of making the pad time
different for different channels? I ask this because I have found that
ITV tends to overrun longer than BBC, and I have been in the habit of
using 5 minutes pad on everything except ITV where I tend to add 15!

However, the option of using 7, 8 or 10 minutes pad will make life
easier - the gap between 5 and 15 for hard padding is uncomfortably
large.

Possible in theory, although it would involve storing a list of the SPs on
the TiVo and having a means of editing that list (TiVoWeb?). One to
consider.

Stuart

Old October 13th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Stuart

"Trooper" wrote in message

I have an upgraded Tivo with 2 disks from Pacelink, does this count as a
hacked box? Will I just be able to attach the serial cable, follow the
instructions and then put the box back under my tv and leave it do its
thing? I'm assuming that I won't need to connect it back up to my PC
each time I reboot the Tivo to restart the job.

I don't know what Pacelink install in their disks. If it's a standard image,
then you will need to take the disk out and connect it to a PC in order to
be able to configure it to be controlled over the serial link.

The program, once installed, can run automatically after a reboot.

Stuart