Seeking advice.

Old October 9th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Sendrove

Default Seeking advice.

Hi Folks:
I'm trying to set up a PVR system, using my current PC - my situation is
this:
Although I live in an area with good digital freeview signal
strength/quality, I am planning on moving within a year - currently the area
I am planning on moving to has very poor signal strength/quality. I think
my only terrestrial choice will be analogue channels.
The PC will also only have a set-top aerial connected to it - for various
reasons there is no access , nor any possibility of access, to the (very old
anyway!) rooftop aerial.

I would like to have the choice of analogue/freeview, but also have
time-shifting functionality and sceduled recording to hard drive. My current
thinking is - an analogue PVR card (possibly a hauppage, although they are
not too well regarded it would seem. THey do come with timeshifting/PVR
software though), a freeview exterrnal decoder, and a big hard drive for
recordings. I can use the current soundcard in the system, which is fine.

I am running windows CP, but would consider a dual boot inorder to use
something like MythTV if there were no viable alternative under windows.

I was going to go for the Nebula DigiTv, but that would give me no access to
analogue terrestrial channels. What would you regard to be the best analogue
receiver card/PVR software combination?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike