SONY Problem

Old October 6th 03, 06:39 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
gnomus

Default SONY Problem

I have a 36" Widescreen Sony Trinitron. Its just over 2 years old. In
recent weeks, I have noticed a vertical "shadow" passing left to right
across the screen. The "shadow" takes approx 3 seconds to get from one side
of the screen to the other. It is most noticeable in dark scenes. It also
seems more noticeable when atching DVD rather than SKY. I know that it is
not the DVD since I've tried 3 different players with the TV.

Anyone know what this is and whether or not it is fixable?

Old October 6th 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave Walker

Are you using a scart (spit!) lead by any chance?

Try feeding the TV using `s` or cut the AV out (cant remember which pin
right now, 17,19, 20 21 something like that) from the TV.
It sounds like a problem I had - the shadow is the tv tuner picture that
leaves the tv, gets coupled very weakly in the dvd or within a cheap lead
and returns slightly delayed. Try putting the dvd to a static background,
you may well be able to see a faint picture within your `shadow`

Dave

Old October 6th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
The dog from that film you saw

"gnomus" wrote in message
I have a 36" Widescreen Sony Trinitron. Its just over 2 years old. In
recent weeks, I have noticed a vertical "shadow" passing left to right
across the screen. The "shadow" takes approx 3 seconds to get from one

side
of the screen to the other. It is most noticeable in dark scenes. It

also
seems more noticeable when atching DVD rather than SKY. I know that it is
not the DVD since I've tried 3 different players with the TV.

Anyone know what this is and whether or not it is fixable?

That again!
it's a famous problem in the FQ models - like many others i had to get a
refund as sony couldn't fix them.
they did later supposedly release a fix but by then i had a different brand
of tv so never found out if it was working.

--
Gareth
quote of the day

Old October 6th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick Austin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:39:15 +0100, "gnomus"
wrote:

I have a 36" Widescreen Sony Trinitron. Its just over 2 years old. In
recent weeks, I have noticed a vertical "shadow" passing left to right
across the screen. The "shadow" takes approx 3 seconds to get from one side
of the screen to the other. It is most noticeable in dark scenes. It also
seems more noticeable when atching DVD rather than SKY. I know that it is
not the DVD since I've tried 3 different players with the TV.

Almost certainly a poor-quality SCART lead.

To confirm the problem tune the TV to a 'blank' channel (i.e. just
snow storm, or pull out the aeriel), put everything else (Sky etc.)
into standby then play a DVD. The shadow should be gone.

There are three possible solutions:

1. Replace the SCART lead with one that has individual shielding.
2. Snip pin 19 inside the SCART plug that connects to the TV.
3. The TV may have a menu option for "AV OUT". If so, turn it off.

Nick.