OT - Attn Smile account holders

Old October 5th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Andy Jenkins

Default OT - Attn Smile account holders

Sorry if anyone takes offense at this post - but its important for
Smile account holders.

The information below is a copy of what I have posted on my website ..
but there's no point in visiting as there is no more information there
than what I have posted below .. this is not 'hit count spam'.

---

Copied from : http://www.uk-bug.net

It appears than in a similar case to the recent Barclays email scam,
UK bank company Smile are today being targeted.

The email appears to be legitimate, quoting terms such as "Due to
technical update we recommend you to reactivate your account" - in a
similar ilk to that seen with the Barclays email scam.

I personally have been in contact with Smile (a member of the The
Co-operative Bank) who have confirmed the existance of the fake email.
Smile obviously are advising customers to NOT click on any link from
this email.

Smile are continuing their investigations, and are expected to make a
customer wide announcement soon.

I have not posted the link to the "copycat" site - for obvious
reasons. The fake site looks very authentic - even complete with
128bit encryption symbols being present. There are no obvious
giveaways, bar a slight change of the URL - which we will also not
reveal for obvious reasons.

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net