PAL - NTSC

« sony video | Telly »

Old October 4th 03, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ben

Default PAL - NTSC

Hi

I have a UK DVD player that can play region 1 DVDs. I'm not sure if I need
an NTSC compatible TV for this, or whether the output from the DVD player is
still PAL?

Any ideas?

TIA
Ben

Old October 4th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
QrizB

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 11:10:37 GMT, "Ben" wrote:

I have a UK DVD player that can play region 1 DVDs. I'm not sure if I need
an NTSC compatible TV for this, or whether the output from the DVD player is
still PAL?

Yes. Or possibly no.

Either of your suggestions may be true - what model of DVD player is
it?

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old October 4th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Vic

"Ben" wrote in message
I have a UK DVD player that can play region 1 DVDs. I'm not sure if I need
an NTSC compatible TV for this, or whether the output from the DVD player is
still PAL?

If you use the RGB output of your DVD player (via a SCART lead) then PAL or NTSC
will not be relevant, because the signal will not be coded into either system.

What may be relevant is whether the DVD player plays back 525 lines/60Hz or 625
lines/50Hz. It will also depend on whether your TV will be able to display the
different line/frame rates.

In my experience, most modern TV's with most modern DVD players will work fine
playing Region 1 disks.

Old October 4th 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Heather

Most DVD players will output region 1 DVDs as NTSC - a minority of players
can convert NTSC to PAL - check your manual.

- Simon.

Old November 4th 03, 09:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul D.Smith

Just to add, older "up market" TVs support 525/60 as well. My old Sony (a
4:3 21inch model) does and happily plays region 1 DVDs in association with
my DVD player connected using RGB.

It in doubt, search the web, or contact the TV manufacturer to see if your
TV supports 525/60.

Paul DS.