TV recording and Viewing via Firewire?

Old September 19th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Paul Strat

Default TV recording and Viewing via Firewire?

I'm trying to use my PC to record from my satellite receiver
and later play the recorded files to my TV-projector, using the
firewire port and a Canopus ADVC100 digital video converter
(he http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ad...m_advc-100.asp)

I have already captured very good quality video, recording
from the Canopus converter, that I have connected to
the S-VHS and audio outputs of the satellite receiver.

In this way, the Canopus converts the S-Video and audio
analog output signal from the satellite receiver, and outputs a
digital signal through the firewire port that feeds the firewire
capture card installed in the PC.

I used the "Power VCR II" software, as I'd like to build a
PVR-PC system that can be set with a timer recording function,
so I can used it like a regular VCR to perform unattended recording,
but I'm willing to switch to other software if there are better
options, better quality, etc.

The recorded programs look really good when watching them on
the PC, even when using full screen format. But my problem is
that I can't send the recorded program to my RPTV, even
when the Canopus converter performs also a very good
Firewire to analog Video and Audio conversion, as it seems
the "Power VCR II" software (and I suspect most of
video software) does not deliver the signal that the Canopus
needs to perform the digital to analog conversion.

I can only output video via firewire when connecting my
Sony DCR-TRV900 camcorder, and playing video files
with the brand-new "Adobe Premiere Pro V7" I have installed
on my other PC with the purpose of editing familiar tapes.

My questions a

1) :
What is the recommended software I should use to
achieve good Video programming recording to later
be played onto my RPTV, using the Fireware PC
port and the Canopus video converter that I already have?

Does the Power VCR II perform the job?
Other recommended software with the unattended recording
feature?

If such software does not exist, what is the recommended
video capturing software to use? (I already have Adobe Premiere
Pro V7, Ulead DVD Movie Fcatory2, and Pinnacle Studio 8).

2):
What are the recommended video settings when capturing
from the firewire port, to obtain the best quality video?
Is it better to capture in AVI, MPG or other format?

My system config:

Pentium-4 3.00GHC PC, with 1.00GB of RAM

Radeon 9200 Video Card.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum-EX audio card with
built-in 2 Fireware ports.

Running Windows-XP Professional. with SP-1

I'll appreciate any help regarding this matter

Thanks in advance
Paul.

----- remove "NoSpam" to send me an e-mail -------