Building a PVR system, newbie questions

Old September 11th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Cheddar

Default Building a PVR system, newbie questions

Can anyone give me some links with information on building a
PVR system and what is needed.

Watching TV is getting to be stupidly expensive and i'd like
to just cut down on the cost. Ideally i'd like the ability
of the Tivo with a DVD player and MP3 player all in one,
maybe encased in one of those fancy shuttle pcs. I would
like all of this to work with Sky+.

I have seen posts about this sort of thing on the group and
was wondering if anyone has something like this setup.

Old September 11th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
QrizB

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:26:21 +0100, "Cheddar"
wrote:

Can anyone give me some links with information on building a
PVR system and what is needed.

Watching TV is getting to be stupidly expensive and i'd like
to just cut down on the cost. Ideally i'd like the ability
of the Tivo with a DVD player and MP3 player all in one,
maybe encased in one of those fancy shuttle pcs. I would
like all of this to work with Sky+.

I have seen posts about this sort of thing on the group and
was wondering if anyone has something like this setup.

Please don't think I'm being awkward, but if you've already got Sky+
why do you want another system?

Old September 11th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Cheddar

wrote:

Can anyone give me some links with information on

building a
PVR system and what is needed.

Watching TV is getting to be stupidly expensive and i'd

like
to just cut down on the cost. Ideally i'd like the

ability
of the Tivo with a DVD player and MP3 player all in one,
maybe encased in one of those fancy shuttle pcs. I would
like all of this to work with Sky+.

I have seen posts about this sort of thing on the group

and
was wondering if anyone has something like this setup.

Please don't think I'm being awkward, but if you've

already got Sky+
why do you want another system?

I haven't got Sky+ at the moment. I have a Tivo and a very
old Sky digibox. I need a replacement for my old digibox as
it's just terrible and seems to be getting worse.

I am tempted to go with Sky+ and a Tivo but i'm quite
interested in building a PVR and seeing what t can do.

Old September 13th 03, 12:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Simon Slavin

In article ,
"Cheddar" wrote:

I haven't got Sky+ at the moment. I have a Tivo and a very
old Sky digibox. I need a replacement for my old digibox as
it's just terrible and seems to be getting worse.

I am tempted to go with Sky+ and a Tivo but i'm quite
interested in building a PVR and seeing what t can do.

Instead, take a look at the Pace Twins.

Also, I would not recommend getting one device with DVD,
MP3, Digibox, etc. all built in. If there's one thing
you don't like about it you can never afford to replace
it because it's expensive because it does all those
functions.

Old September 19th 03, 02:31 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Clive Savage

wrote:

Can anyone give me some links with information on building a
PVR system and what is needed.

Watching TV is getting to be stupidly expensive and i'd like
to just cut down on the cost. Ideally i'd like the ability
of the Tivo with a DVD player and MP3 player all in one,
maybe encased in one of those fancy shuttle pcs. I would
like all of this to work with Sky+.

I have seen posts about this sort of thing on the group and
was wondering if anyone has something like this setup.

http://www.puremotion.com/resources/...cal/buildapvr/

Bye for now.

Clive.
Old September 19th 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
gary dawes

If you are up for using Linux as an OS, then there are a couple of
options for a PVR with DVD and MP3 capabilities.

There's www.freevo.org with Freevo, although I have not used it, it
has most of the stuff.

Or there's Mythtv, www.mythtv.org. I have been using this for about 6
months, and I'm very impressed. Can be a bit tricky to setup, but that
tends to be the stuff mythtv needs, but once it's working it's great.

I've got 2 tuner cards in mine, and a generic geforce 4 for output.
It's also network aware, so you can run the frontend on different PCs
in different rooms.

cheers

gary

Old November 7th 03, 06:34 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jerry Heere

Lot's of info on PVR's in the Sep 2003 issue of CPU Computer Power User
Magazine. Pages 46 thru 63.
Jerry

"gary dawes" wrote in message
om...
If you are up for using Linux as an OS, then there are a couple of
options for a PVR with DVD and MP3 capabilities.

There's www.freevo.org with Freevo, although I have not used it, it
has most of the stuff.

Or there's Mythtv, www.mythtv.org. I have been using this for about 6
months, and I'm very impressed. Can be a bit tricky to setup, but that
tends to be the stuff mythtv needs, but once it's working it's great.

I've got 2 tuner cards in mine, and a generic geforce 4 for output.
It's also network aware, so you can run the frontend on different PCs
in different rooms.

cheers

gary

. ..