Avoid Sky+ like the plague

Old September 10th 03, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
qqq

Default Avoid Sky+ like the plague

I note with sadness that some people conisder going to Sky +

I have 2 Tivo's and 1 Sky +

The Tivo's have always run without problem. With Sky+ its just problem after
problem

We have had various problems especially with power failures causing the loss
of all programmes recorded. Also we record a programme and when we try to
play it back the whole units locks up completely and have to wait for over
an hour before the unit resets itself. During this period the unit is
totally unusable.

We had the unit excanged last week (this is something like our 6th unit),
Sky came on Monday with another unit and that was faulty also.

The techincians say they are just swapping out reconditioned units.

Sky know of these problems.

As soon as my 12 months is up I will be dumping this unit. Stick with Tivo,
Sky+ has very few advantages over Tivo, but the technical problems with this
unit are immense.

One person from Sky told me that because of all the problems with these Pace
Sky+ boxes Sky was looking for another manufacturer

Please advised AVOID SKY+ all costs.

Disregad this advice at your own riskt.

Old September 10th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:20:22 +0100, "qqq" wrote:

I note with sadness that some people conisder going to Sky +

Why does it make you sad? What difference does it make to you?

I have 2 Tivo's and 1 Sky +

I have 3 Tivos and 1 Sky+

The Tivo's have always run without problem.

Mine too - except the remotes - they don't seem to work properly after
1 year - they start doing "double-presses" The Sky+ one works
perfectly. Oh and the bugs in the software which delete my programmes
to record suggestions.

With Sky+ its just problem after problem

You are unlucky - mine works fine

We have had various problems especially with power failures causing the loss
of all programmes recorded.

I've not seen that happen. Does it cause anything else to go wrong?
i.e. does it fry the Sky+ or just erase the disk?

Also we record a programme and when we try to
play it back the whole units locks up completely and have to wait for over
an hour before the unit resets itself. During this period the unit is
totally unusable.

Not seen that either. What happens if you unplug the unit and plug it
back in a couple of minutes later?

We had the unit excanged last week (this is something like our 6th unit),
Sky came on Monday with another unit and that was faulty also.

You seem to be *very* unlucky with them

The techincians say they are just swapping out reconditioned units.

Sky know of these problems.

Obviously as it is Sky who comes to fix it :-)

As soon as my 12 months is up I will be dumping this unit. Stick with Tivo,
Sky+ has very few advantages over Tivo, but the technical problems with this
unit are immense.

In your experience, that does seem the case. If you you've had so
many problems I would say you had a very good case for a refund - and
not have to wait til your 12 months is up.

One person from Sky told me that because of all the problems with these Pace
Sky+ boxes Sky was looking for another manufacturer

They've just brought out another box from PACE. I wouldn't believe a
word the "engineers" tell you :-)

Old September 11th 03, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:07:44 +0100, "qqq" wrote:

No just the digibox, and of course it depends how many power failures u
suffer, unfortunately where we live we get quite a few. How do you can one
tell whether it erases the disk?

What I mean is does it affect any other part of the Sky+'s workings?
i.e. does it still receive the pictures from live programmes, etc. ?
What I'm getting at is that power cuts/surges can cause other damage -
I don't see how it could cause it to lose all programmes on the disk
(possibly the one it was recoding at the time). I'm not saying it
doesn't happen I'm saying I can't see how it does happen. If it was
faulty software causing it it would happen to everyone, and it clearly
doesn't.

Not seen that either. What happens if you unplug the unit and plug it
back in a couple of minutes later?

Even after 7 hours I can't play the program and it locks up again

Looks like the actual recording is corrupt - I have actually seen this
once on mine. Whenever I try to play that it locks up even after a
reboot. All other programmes were OK. I just deleted that one
programme and the problem went away. I put it down to a glitch in the
signal or something. I similar thing happens on my DVD recorder if I
put a corrupted disk in.

Similar corruptions happen on my Freeview (ex-ondigital) boxes, so its
not just Sky+

You seem to be *very* unlucky with them

Yes sure there is an element of luck involved, but these are just a rubbish
units

Yours seem to be but most aren't.

I have written to Sky and just got a letter reminding me of my contractual
conditions.

Remind them of their legal position

In general I beleive that the Sky product is very good but their
coporate attitude is appaulling.

Can't argue there

What to you mean I have had 2 ddifferent types of units and problems with
them both?

and thousands of people haven't had the problems you mention.
Old September 11th 03, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

K wrote:

The Tivo's have always run without problem.

Mine too - except the remotes - they don't seem to work properly after
1 year - they start doing "double-presses" The Sky+ one works
perfectly.

Yes. The Tivo remote is terrible. It eats batteries (I'm on my 4th set
in under a year) and the case is already worn. The Sky+ and regular
Sky remotes are excellent.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old September 11th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Laurence

Jomtien wrote:

The Tivo remote is terrible. It eats batteries (I'm on my 4th set
in under a year)

Do you use frame advance a lot? I'm on my third (I think) set of
batteries after having the TiVo for almost two years.

Laurence

Old September 11th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
qqq

One of the engineers I spoke said that this was a common problem and he
found that if you put a surge protector inline this resolves the problem.
Apparently Pace know of the problem. I refused to do this as the unit should
be designed to defend itself from these problems.

In terms of reminding Sky of their legal obligations, please advise me how
to do this.

We have legal expenses insurance and I threatened Sky with invoking this
against them and they just sent me letter reminding me of the contract I
have with them

news

Old September 12th 03, 07:49 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Laurence

Jomtien wrote:

I've reset the Tivo to allow 30 second jumps and that is certainly the
button that has the most wear.

Same here, followed by the jump back button for when I jump too far! No
wear at all around the pause and Fwd buttons Guess that's because
they're bigger!

My first set (the originals) died within a month of plugging the Tivo
in!

I've got "Duracell Plus" in there at the moment.

Laurence

Old September 12th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Sean Black

In message , Jomtien
writes
Laurence wrote:

The Tivo remote is terrible. It eats batteries (I'm on my 4th set
in under a year)

Do you use frame advance a lot?

I've reset the Tivo to allow 30 second jumps and that is certainly the
button that has the most wear.

I'm on my third (I think) set of
batteries after having the TiVo for almost two years.

My first set (the originals) died within a month of plugging the Tivo
in!

Still on my original set, coming up for 2 years now. Remote is certainly
looking worn though, the clear bit of plastic on the TiVo button came
off recently.
--
Sean Black
Old September 12th 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:08:06 +0100, "qqq" wrote:

Apparently Pace know of the problem.

But it doesn't affect most people. If you are in an area which is
prone to power cuts, etc its not Pace's (or Sky's) fault.

I refused to do this as the unit should
be designed to defend itself from these problems.

So, you know a simple, cheap solution yest you refuse to do it? Your
loss.

In terms of reminding Sky of their legal obligations, please advise me how
to do this.

Contact your local trading standards as a starting point

We have legal expenses insurance and I threatened Sky with invoking this
against them and they just sent me letter reminding me of the contract I
have with them

They are just trying to put you off.

Old September 12th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:24:39 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

I've reset the Tivo to allow 30 second jumps and that is certainly the
button that has the most wear.

I would like to do that but I like the original purpose of the button
to check I've got the end of the programme recorded before I watch it.
If you could put the function on another button I would use it (the
thumbs buttons would be ideal as I never use them)