New sky+ pricing

Old September 9th 03, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jonathan E

Default New sky+ pricing

Have people seen this. Seems fairly good if you've already got the top Sky
packages....think I'll finally give in and get one!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11727.html

The monthly subscription charge for the Sky+ service is to be dropped for
customers taking at least two premium channels, Sky have announced this
morning.

The news affects Sky+ subscribers who pay more than £30 per month for their
standard Sky subscription, taking channels such as Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports
2, Sky Movies Premier and Sky Movies Max. The standard Sky+ subscription
price will remain at £10 per month for all other customers.

The price of the Sky+ box will remain at the recently reduced price of £199,
whilst the cost of standard installation for the Sky+ box stays at £50.

Also announced today was a £5 cut in the cost of Sky's Extra Subscription
offer, which enables customers to watch different Sky channels in another
room of the house. Subscription to each extra box will now cost £10 per
month when taken in combination with Sky+, with the price remaining at £15
per month for all other customers.

"We know that people who already have Sky+ are passionate about this
blissfully simple TV recording device," said Jon Florsheim, Sales and
Marketing Director at Sky. "By making Sky+ even better value, we are now
making it easier for people across the UK to effectively create their own TV
channel bringing them primetime TV at any time. "

Today's news is an unsurprising move by Sky, who have learnt from Sky+ focus
groups that many customers regarded the monthly subscription excessive and
unnecessary

Old September 9th 03, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jonathan E

"Jonathan E" wrote in message
Have people seen this. Seems fairly good if you've already got the top Sky
packages....think I'll finally give in and get one!

Nothing like replying to your own post but....rang Sky this morning....spoke
to very pleasant Scottish lady who knew nothing about this (but I was sure
it was right as I'd seen it as a press release on the BSkyB corporate site).
She put me on hold and talked to her supervisor who told her that there was
to be a staff briefing this morning so I'd beaten them to it.

Under the new scheme the installation charge will be £50 so I've ordered
this morning as the Sky+ web site is still showing £1 install.....what me
tight?!

Jonathan

Old September 9th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Carl Waring

"Jonathan E" wrote in message
Have people seen this. Seems fairly good if you've already got the top Sky
packages....think I'll finally give in and get one!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11727.html

Typical Sky User says:
"Oooh look. I'll have to get a couple of Premium channels (min £30?) to save
a tenner" :-)
I could be wring, though!

--
C/-\R|_ \/\//-\R|I\IG

Old September 9th 03, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
The dog from that film you saw

"Carl Waring" wrote in message
"Jonathan E" wrote in message
Have people seen this. Seems fairly good if you've already got the top

Sky
packages....think I'll finally give in and get one!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11727.html

Typical Sky User says:
"Oooh look. I'll have to get a couple of Premium channels (min £30?) to

save
a tenner" :-)
I could be wring, though!

typical sky user probably already has those channels.
it certainly looks attractive now - if only they could only go that extra
step and let it suggest programmes like tivo - i haven't specifically told
my tivo to record anything for weeks but the programmes just keep coming.

--
Gareth
quote of the day

Old September 9th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jonathan E

"Carl Waring" wrote in message
Typical Sky User says:
"Oooh look. I'll have to get a couple of Premium channels (min £30?) to

save
a tenner" :-)
I could be wring, though!

Carl what amazing powers of prescience that from my one posting you can
decide that I am a 'typical' Sky user - incredible....do you leap tall
buildings in a single bound too? ;-)

Unfortunately your super-natural powers have failed you this time and you
are indeed 'wring' as the channels I have (although not the top package)
already qualify me for this deal.

I'm sure yet another round of "My TIVO is
bigger/better/faster/Stronger/Prettier/etc. than your Sky+" will now ensue.
To be honest not interested in this as each platform has its pros and
cons...just happy that for £200 quid including install I now have a PVR.

Jonathan

Old September 10th 03, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Carl Waring

"Jonathan E" wrote in message
"Carl Waring" wrote in message
Typical Sky User says:
"Oooh look. I'll have to get a couple of Premium channels (min £30?) to

save
a tenner" :-)
I could be wring, though!

Carl what amazing powers of prescience that from my one posting you can
decide that I am a 'typical' Sky user - incredible....do you leap tall
buildings in a single bound too? ;-)
Unfortunately your super-natural powers have failed you this time and you
are indeed 'wring' as the channels I have (although not the top package)
already qualify me for this deal.

Sorry to have upset you. I need to work on my sarcasm ;-)

I'm sure yet another round of "My TIVO is
bigger/better/faster/Stronger/Prettier/etc. than your Sky+" will now

ensue.
To be honest not interested in this as each platform has its pros and
cons...just happy that for £200 quid including install I now have a PVR.

No. You have a DVR. Tivo is a PVR as it can, if asked, record things that
you have not *specifically* asked it to and these recordings will be based
on what you have recorded in the past and will not necessariy be the same as
someone elses.

This is what differentiates a PERSONAL Video Recorder (ie Tivo) from a
simply DIGITAL Video Recorder like Sky+.

--
C/-\R|_ \/\//-\R|I\IG

Old September 10th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:27:18 GMT, "Carl Waring"
wrote:

No. You have a DVR. Tivo is a PVR as it can, if asked, record things that
you have not *specifically* asked it to and these recordings will be based
on what you have recorded in the past and will not necessariy be the same as
someone elses.

This is what differentiates a PERSONAL Video Recorder (ie Tivo) from a
simply DIGITAL Video Recorder like Sky+.

Whose definition says this?
Old September 10th 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
PhilÅ

Carl, stop winding up the troops....

We all know TiVo is the Best, but Sky's marketing and potential will win
over all. As soon as TiVo's shareholders start questioning TiVo inc's part
in the UK, they will be sadly gone, and missed.

Old September 11th 03, 06:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
The dog from that film you saw

"Chris Croughton" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:16:15 +0100, PhilÅ
wrote:

Carl, stop winding up the troops....

We all know TiVo is the Best, but Sky's marketing and potential will win
over all.

Something which is available will win over something which isn't every
time, no matter how good the unavailable thing might be. TiVo's
technical superiority is irrelevant, since they have no stock in the UK.

tivo is technically inferior - it's superior in software.
i say that as an owner.

Old September 11th 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:01:49 +0100, The dog from that film you saw
wrote:

"Chris Croughton" wrote in message

Something which is available will win over something which isn't every
time, no matter how good the unavailable thing might be. TiVo's
technical superiority is irrelevant, since they have no stock in the UK.

tivo is technically inferior - it's superior in software.
i say that as an owner.

The software is part of the 'technic', and is what makes it superior
(allegedly). Since you can't get at the Sky+ software to change it,
that makes it part of the compared item as a unit.

Chris C