TivoWeb - next obvious question

Old September 4th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Kevin Reilly

Default TivoWeb - next obvious question

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 DerekR wrote:

How do I access TiVoweb over the internet?

Basic setup, assuming you have broadband and a suitable NAT router, is
to configure your router to send incoming TCP packets on the TiVoWeb
port to your TiVo's IP address.

However, do NOT be tempted to leave TiVoWeb running on port 80 and route
all port 80 requests to the TiVo. Attackers who port scan your IP with
common ports and log responses will have a field day when they come
across an unprotected server on port 80.

There are two simple ways you can help secure your server. The first is
to ensure TiVoWeb is set up to use a password. Standard security policy
applies: choose something damned difficult to guess.

The second is to route traffic from an obscure external port number to
the TiVo's internal port 80. You can even get TiVoWeb itself to listen
on a different port but if there's a router between it and the Internet
that's probably overkill.

For instance, if you want to use port 55555 to access your TiVo, set the
router to forward all external requests on 55555 to port 80 on the TiVo.
You would then access the TiVo from outside the LAN using

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:55555

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your public IP address. If your public IP is
dynamic you might consider signing up for a NoIP account or similar
(http://www.noip.com) so you have a fixed address to aim the browser at.
You might then end up with something like

http://mytivo.no-ip.com:55555

There are further security measures you could take, such as installing a
proxy server on the TiVo or (if you only intend to connect from a known
range of external machines) limiting the IP ranges allowed to connect on
port 55555 at the router.

All of this is moot if you don't have a NAT router (or broadband!).
Connecting a TiVoWeb equipped box, especially one running on port 80,
direct to the Internet is a recipe for disaster. Or at least a recipe
for a TiVo full of unwanted material.

--
Kev
"In my attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole."

Old October 2nd 03, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
PapaLazarus

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:20:39 GMT, DerekR wrote:

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:06:09 +0100, Kevin Reilly
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 DerekR wrote:

How do I access TiVoweb over the internet?

Basic setup, assuming you have broadband and a suitable NAT router, is
to configure your router to send incoming TCP packets on the TiVoWeb
port to your TiVo's IP address.

However, do NOT be tempted to leave TiVoWeb running on port 80 and
route
all port 80 requests to the TiVo. Attackers who port scan your IP with
common ports and log responses will have a field day when they come
across an unprotected server on port 80.

There are two simple ways you can help secure your server. The first is
to ensure TiVoWeb is set up to use a password. Standard security policy
applies: choose something damned difficult to guess.

How do I set a password in Tivoweb?

I use WinXP pro as a Gateway/server/router.
Anyone know how to redirect ports with windows?
---
PapaLazarus
at f2s dom c0m
Old October 9th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Sendrove

PapaLazarus wrote:

I use WinXP pro as a Gateway/server/router.
Anyone know how to redirect ports with windows?

Assuming you're using ICS - this might be useful- just substitute the tcp
port number for 80 or whatever the webserver runs on:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

But I would consider some other form of port forwarding - it's widely
recognised that ICS is a nono. It's not very stable. I use a hardware
router/gateway, which is great (mine's a D-link but here are many) or better
hardware for windows - something like nat32 (www.nat32.com from memory)
Mike

Old October 9th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Mike Sendrove

Mike Sendrove wrote:
PapaLazarus wrote:

I use WinXP pro as a Gateway/server/router.
Anyone know how to redirect ports with windows?

Assuming you're using ICS - this might be useful- just substitute the
tcp port number for 80 or whatever the webserver runs on:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

But I would consider some other form of port forwarding - it's widely
recognised that ICS is a nono. It's not very stable. I use a hardware
router/gateway, which is great (mine's a D-link but here are many) or
better hardware for windows - something like nat32 (www.nat32.com
from memory) Mike

This looks useful also -
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...csconfigXP.jpg

I'll stop now. The point is that google is your friend. I got this by
searching for "windows ICS port forwarding xp"

Mike