My Turbonet card arrived this morning :)

Old September 1st 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nick Austin

Default My Turbonet card arrived this morning :)

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:12:31 GMT, DerekR wrote:

....and the sodding TiVo furums are down

Who's gonna talk me through the installation? grin

Follow all the sections that say "stand-alone (SA)".

Skip sections that say either "DTivo" or "DirectTivo".

And the important warning: Do NOT boot into Windows 2000 or Windows
XP if you have a TiVo hard drive attached to your PC.

Hardware Guide:
http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/...rdware_sa.html

Software Guide:
http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/..._software.html

Nick.

Old September 1st 03, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Steve Peake

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:35:51 +0100, Nick Austin wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:12:31 GMT, DerekR wrote:

....and the sodding TiVo furums are down

Who's gonna talk me through the installation? grin

Follow all the sections that say "stand-alone (SA)".

Skip sections that say either "DTivo" or "DirectTivo".

And the important warning: Do NOT boot into Windows 2000 or Windows
XP if you have a TiVo hard drive attached to your PC.

Hardware Guide:
http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/...rdware_sa.html

Software Guide:
http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/..._software.html

Looks good, I'll add to that

1. You really should "un-tie" the MB clamps near the edge socket, trying
to fit it with the board fixed down can damage your tivo.
2. The NW cable routes best out out of the holes at the bottem of the fan,
you nede to remove the fan to do this.
3. You need to add a fix to tivoweb (if installing that)
http://forum.ptvupgrade.com/forum/sh...p?threadid=416

Steve
Old September 2nd 03, 12:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Zomaar

"DerekR" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:32:43 GMT, DerekR wrote:

Thanks lads, job done!

Now off to explore the wonderful world of TiVoweb

sigh and it was all going so well....

I seem to have lost the ability to FTP Was working fine earlier but
now refuses to talk. Telnet and Tivoweb still work.

Derek,

I've got the same problem...it worked once, then - nothing. I can still
access it over the web, and telnet into it, apparently. Still working on
it...

Ali

(PS...Are you the same DerekR who was thinking of moving to Penicuik when it
got DSL?)

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...net.com#link28

Old September 2nd 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

Steve Peake wrote:

1. You really should "un-tie" the MB clamps near the edge socket, trying
to fit it with the board fixed down can damage your tivo.

I found that inserting the Turbonet card was a cinch if I constantly
rotated the nearby rubber foot from below as I pushed it in. Without
rotating the foot it was obviously going to be very difficult indeed
as the card catches on the foot. I did not release the motherboard
clamps nor did I see the need, as long as the foot was rotated.

3. You need to add a fix to tivoweb (if installing that)

Only if you use genres (I don't).

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old September 2nd 03, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jomtien

DerekR wrote:

Using IE everything just freezes. Using CuteFTP it just sits at 'waiting
for welcome message' then times out :-/

TivoFTP only supports one connection at once. These Windows FTP
clients support umpteen by default. Find the option in Cute that sets
it to single connections only and it should work fine. I use
FTPVoyager without difficulty this way. I don't think that there is a
simple option in IE to set this though there may be one in the
registry. I wouldn't do that though.

Old September 2nd 03, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nobby

Mine went in without any problems, however it does not sit fully home on
the edege connector due to it hitting the motherboard support post. As
long as it's parallel to the board though, everything works ok.

On another note, does anybody have a proven and documented method of
extracting streams from the Tivo and burning them to DVD? I've read the
dealdatabase forums at length and tried TyTool, TyStudio, various MPEG
encoders and various DVD authoring apps, but every time the finished DVD
has audio sync problems.

Steve Peake wrote in
:

Old September 2nd 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
MG

On 2 Sep 2003 04:20:24 -0500, Nobby wrote:

On another note, does anybody have a proven and documented method of
extracting streams from the Tivo and burning them to DVD? I've read the
dealdatabase forums at length and tried TyTool, TyStudio, various MPEG
encoders and various DVD authoring apps, but every time the finished DVD
has audio sync problems.

If you mean the sound & pic aren't in sync then I have the same problem :-(

I tried burning a 2 hour film.
My DVD player will play the TiVo files OK straight from TyTool, so I didn't
have to re-encode anything.

At the start all was OK, but after about half an hour, the sound was about
half a second out, and by the end it was way off. Lip Sync was hopeless!

It's OK for a 3 minute pop video, which I have tried successfully, but
anything longer gets painful...

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Gregory
(Remove .nospam to reply)
Old September 2nd 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Nobby

This is the exact same problem I'm getting. I haven't actually burned a DVD
yet, just played the vobs from TyTool 7r8 in PowerDVD. The video and audio
just get more and more out of sync. There must be a way to fix this.

Have you tried cutting out adverts etc? I've read this is supposed to make
a difference to the audio getting out of sync.

MG wrote in
:

Old September 2nd 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Laurence

Jomtien wrote:

3. You need to add a fix to tivoweb (if installing that)

Only if you use genres (I don't).

But that stops the entire ui module from loading. Besides it's not exactly
difficult to patch - just download a new ui.itcl from he
http://www.tivo.kitschcamppalace.org.uk/00ui.itcl.txt

Laurence

Old September 2nd 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
QrizB

On 2 Sep 2003 04:20:24 -0500, Nobby wrote:

On another note, does anybody have a proven and documented method of
extracting streams from the Tivo and burning them to DVD? I've read the
dealdatabase forums at length and tried TyTool, TyStudio, various MPEG
encoders and various DVD authoring apps, but every time the finished DVD
has audio sync problems.

I can make in-sync VCDs and SVCDs by the following route, and I can
think of no reason why it won't work with DVDs:

1. Extract video from TiVo to PC with tytool (I use v6r3).
2. Convert .ty to .mpg using tyStudio with video set as "Generic MPEG"
and audio as "No transcoding".
3. Do general editing etc. using VirtualDub-MPEG2-AC3, changing the
.mpg to .avi in the process. I convert to a high-bitrate DivX as an
intermediate format, and don't seem to lose any quality.
4. Convert the resulting .avi to your chosen .mpg format using
TMPGEnc. For MPEG2 you'll need a valid trial version of TMPGEnc, or a
registration code (obtained by registering, natch).
5. Burn to CD/DVD.

--
QrizB

be fooled.