swapped from Sky dish to freeview

Old July 16th 03, 12:37 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave Walker

Default swapped from Sky dish to freeview

Noticed the Tivo was not recording properly the last couple of days, some
progs were the wrong channel with a banner across the middle - phone this
number. Phoned $ky, who tell me that despite the fact I paid full price for
my digibox, if I wish to continue to recieve CH4 (and ITV aparrantly but
the last time I watched that was Inspector Morse I believe) I must take out
a subscription. Even when the lady offered it half price for a year I was
not impressed, so a quick call to Tivo and they tell me the Goodmans
freeview box is supported and a good buy. One Argos trip later, 3 TV aerials
later, and we are up and running. Had to perform a re-install of the Tivo
and download the EPG all again, plus a software upgrade on the freeview box.
Anyway, just a few observations for anyone else contemplating the same
journey: The digital picture from the freeview box is less dynamic than from
satellite, probably due to less bandwidth, but still very good. After the
Tivo has mangled it you wont tell the difference. The control and navigation
on the Goodmans box is superb, very fast and easy. Makes the digibox look a
dinasour, however the programme guide is limited to now and next. And a big
bonus - that 'press red blah blah' logo seems to self cancel, no need to
keep reaching for the backup button!
I mentioned 3 aerials, I`m in an area thats designated as not being able to
recieve digital - however, once I got a whiff of a signal I wasn't going to
give up. I`m now using an 18 element wideband plus masthead amp pointed at
Heathfield, (not our normal analogue source), and despite the analogue
picture being quite rough, the digital signal is about 30%, which seems to
be enough, I just get very occasional breakup. Hasn't rained yet of course,
but tomorrow I`m picking up a 12dB gain wideband from RS, which is another
3dB than the present one, just in case.
Also whilst at Argos, picked up the panasonic DVD recorder, on special
offer. So far this looks a very impressive piece of kit, it can even
timeslip, a la Tivo - and dare I say the quality is better? However, whilst
the Tivo continues to perform a very good job of choosing things for me it
can rest easy.

Old July 16th 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Chris Croughton

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:37:18 +0100, Dave Walker
wrote:

I mentioned 3 aerials, I`m in an area thats designated as not being able to
recieve digital - however, once I got a whiff of a signal I wasn't going to
give up. I`m now using an 18 element wideband plus masthead amp pointed at
Heathfield, (not our normal analogue source), and despite the analogue
picture being quite rough, the digital signal is about 30%, which seems to
be enough, I just get very occasional breakup. Hasn't rained yet of course,
but tomorrow I`m picking up a 12dB gain wideband from RS, which is another
3dB than the present one, just in case.

Have you considered moving? It sounds cheaper and less hassle g.

My /area/ may be designated OK, but my actual pickup of analogue signals
at my house is lousy so I haven't bothered with DTV (until someone gives
me a box that I can try first).

Also whilst at Argos, picked up the panasonic DVD recorder, on special
offer. So far this looks a very impressive piece of kit, it can even
timeslip, a la Tivo - and dare I say the quality is better?

Does it have a hard disk as well, or is it straight to DVD (-R, +R?)?
Can it record one programme while playing another?

Chris C
Old July 16th 03, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dave Walker

Does it have a hard disk as well, or is it straight to DVD (-R, +R?)?
Can it record one programme while playing another?

No, Direct to dvd ram or dvd-r
Yes it can record and play at the same time - either the recording in
progress (timeslip) or another on the same disk.

Old July 16th 03, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
The dog from that film you saw

"Andrew Hodgson" wrote in message
Chris Croughton in :

My /area/ may be designated OK, but my actual pickup of analogue signals
at my house is lousy so I haven't bothered with DTV (until someone gives
me a box that I can try first).

We were in the same situation - lousy analog but when we went with
DTV, it was ok, the occasional breakup but much better than analog.

my parents get a horrible signal for analogue channel 5 with their loft
aerial -but it gets perfect signals for every digtital channel.

--
Gareth
quote of the day

Old July 16th 03, 11:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Norman

"Dave Walker" wrote in message

We were in the same situation - lousy analog but when we went with
DTV, it was ok, the occasional breakup but much better than analog.

I`ve just put the high gain digital aerial on the roof - according to the
strength'o'meter on the freeview box its now got 50% signal strength with

quality rating of very good. It still has a bit of a wobbly now and then,
but acceptable. Strangely the analogue pictures are worse, virtually
unwatchable.

Dave

We are in an area that the Freeview website says has no coverage, our aerial
installer said had no coverage and had a terrible analogue reception but got
another aerial installed anyway and hey presto.....get a perfect Freeview
reception.

Norman

---