News Item - Sky may halve the price of Sky+ around August / September 2003

Old July 7th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
NO LOGO

Default News Item - Sky may halve the price of Sky+ around August / September 2003

Sky may halve the price of Sky+ around August / September 2003:

http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mod...ews_read&i=123

Source: Interactive TV Today 07/07/2003 - part 3

Old July 8th 03, 07:45 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Mark Carver

Jomtien wrote:
Chris p wrote:

Sky may halve the price of Sky+ around August / September 2003:

i would buy at that prce :-)

Even at 5 per month the cost is too high. There is no reason why
anyone should pay any monthly fee at all to use a recorder that they
have purchased outright.

Seems fair enough to me, if the amount of FTV/A channels I can record with
mine are about to be halved :-))

Old July 8th 03, 08:39 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Jomtien

Mark Carver wrote:

Even at £5 per month the cost is too high. There is no reason why
anyone should pay any monthly fee at all to use a recorder that they
have purchased outright.

Seems fair enough to me, if the amount of FTV/A channels I can record with
mine are about to be halved :-))

In theory you should be OK. A Sky+ needs a Sky card to work. If you
pay the Sky+ sub then you will get a Sky card and it should allow
access to the FTA and FTV channels. If the Sky+ sub does ever drop to
£5 then the Sky+ with sub at £250 purchase price + £60 per year would
in fact become the cheapest and most useful way of acquiring an FTV
card. Perhaps I better stop giving Sky ideas.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 9th 03, 07:36 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Jomtien

Ed wrote:

The reason is probably that there are soon going to be a whole host of
PVRs, Sky has the advantage that it can record encrypted channels, but
it will then look like it is abusing its monopoly when it is charging
£10 a month and with everyone else it is free.

Indeed. As of July 10 anyone will in theory be able to buy a FTA sat
PVR (of which there are several) and use it to replace a Sky+ for the
BBC and other FTA services. One can hope that the other FTV channels
will also become FTA in the future thus increasing the usefulness of
such a box. The DTT PVRs will surely never require a monthly fee
(quite rightly, of course). The idea of a monthly fee for using a
recorder is a total aberration.

Old July 9th 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Stephen \(aka steford\)

"Jomtien" wrote in message
Ed wrote:

The reason is probably that there are soon going to be a whole host of
PVRs, Sky has the advantage that it can record encrypted channels, but
it will then look like it is abusing its monopoly when it is charging
10 a month and with everyone else it is free.

Indeed. As of July 10 anyone will in theory be able to buy a FTA sat
PVR (of which there are several) and use it to replace a Sky+ for the
BBC and other FTA services. One can hope that the other FTV channels
will also become FTA in the future thus increasing the usefulness of
such a box. The DTT PVRs will surely never require a monthly fee
(quite rightly, of course). The idea of a monthly fee for using a
recorder is a total aberration.

Yes but the fee isn't to "use" your recorder. I can use my Tivo without
paying anything. What makes my Tivo useful though is the data it gets that
tells it what I might like, when the next episode of a series is on, what
genre a film is etc. Someone has to provide this and provide the
infrastructure/software to deliver it. At the moment that costs. Look at it
like servicing your car - you don't really need it but it's better with it
and makes it work better.

Old July 9th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Gareth Kitchener

Stephen (aka steford) said:

"Jomtien" wrote in message
.. .
Ed wrote:

[...]

No-one mentioned TIVO. The fee to "use" the recorder is for Sky+
which uses the 'listings' that are freely available to all digibox
users on the EPG anyway.

--
Gareth Kitchener
Bedfordshire, England
Old July 10th 03, 06:45 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Jomtien

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

[...]

You seem to have missed the point. The Sky+ £10 fee is indeed to use
the recorder functions. There are no extra EPG features to pay for as
the entire EPG is provided free of charge to all digibox users, with
or without a Sky sub, and the Sky EPG is paid for by the broadcasters
anyway. Whilst the Tivo does indeed provide extra service and data in
return for the monthly fee I personally consider that this fee also is
not only far too high but unacceptable in that it is monthly and
permanent. Tivo do however offer a life-time £199 fee, which I have,
and I consider this to be reasonable if one assumes that the box is
being sold at below cost price, which mine certainly was, and which is
assumed also to be the case for the Sky+.
What is and remains totally unacceptable is any type of permanent
monthly fee for activating the functions of a recorder that one has
already bought. If there is to be such a monthly activation fee then
the box must be lent rather than sold.

Old July 10th 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Gareth Kitchener wrote:
Stephen (aka steford) said:

"Jomtien" wrote in message
Ed wrote:

[...]

I assumed, from his tone, the OP had something against ongoing fees for
anything - which from the post below he does. I have never used SKY+ so
can't comment.

Old July 10th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Jomtien wrote:
Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

[...]

That then does seem like a rip off although surely it's just a marketing
mess up selling something for a monthly fee which isn't really a monthly
value added service. People see through that a mile off. But then they'd be
charging more for the unit. You can't win with $ky let's face it. I have the
199 Tivo lifetime service and a 99 box which I consider good value too.

Old July 13th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr,uk.media.tv.misc
Mark Gordon

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:39:30 GMT
Jomtien wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

Even at £5 per month the cost is too high. There is no reason why
anyone should pay any monthly fee at all to use a recorder that they
have purchased outright.

Seems fair enough to me, if the amount of FTV/A channels I can record with
mine are about to be halved :-))

In theory you should be OK. A Sky+ needs a Sky card to work. If you
pay the Sky+ sub then you will get a Sky card and it should allow
access to the FTA and FTV channels. If the Sky+ sub does ever drop to
£5 then the Sky+ with sub at £250 purchase price + £60 per year would
in fact become the cheapest and most useful way of acquiring an FTV
card. Perhaps I better stop giving Sky ideas.

Last I checked (and I even did this) you could phone up and get an FTV card
sent to you for free. Of course you also need a dish and a decoder.
--
Mark Gordon