Slow response from Pace Sky+ box ?!?!

Old July 25th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gary Webb

Default Slow response from Pace Sky+ box ?!?!

My Pace Sky+ dodgybox has suddenly started to respond very slowly. At first
I thought the batteries were getting low in the RC so I replaced them. I
then noticed that the box does receive the signal as the red light flashes.
There is then a delay of a few seconds before the command is carried out.
I.e. when watching something on playback, if I press pause, the light on the
box flashes, I can then put the RC down on the table and sit back, then the
playback will pause. This equates to a delay of about 3 to 5 seconds !!!

I have tried a complete power down and back up again, but no difference. Has
there been an update recently that could have caused this? Any other ideas
as it is p*****g me off. My old original Pace std box with non '*' CPU is
quicker than the + box at present!!

Thanks

Gary

--
Gary Webb MCP, MCSE

Old July 26th 03, 05:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Gary Webb wrote:

I have tried a complete power down and back up again, but no difference.

Try reloading the software.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 26th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gary Webb

Have tried a software reload but still the same. The problem is most
noticeable when using the Sky + Planner and pause/play/ffwd/rwd, etc. Does
the hard drive in the Sky + box get fragmented?

Gary

Old July 26th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
jboy

You may find that you have a disc error. First backup all the the programs
you want to keep to tape, then reformat the hard drive.

Old July 26th 03, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
The Wizard

"Gary Webb" wrote in message
Have tried a software reload but still the same. The problem is most
noticeable when using the Sky + Planner and pause/play/ffwd/rwd, etc. Does
the hard drive in the Sky + box get fragmented?

Hi Gary,
I forgot to mention that.

When I was onto Sky CS and they talked me through the Services 4,0,1 Select
method,They then asked me had I any programmes I still needed to watch,When
answering no,They asked me do the format Hard disc option.

It could well be though,Your HD has a problem?

It happened to fix mine o-k and luckily,I'd no programmes on the HD at the
time of re-formatting.

Old July 27th 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gary Webb

Complete system reset (including drive reformat) appears to have cured the
problem. Time will tell as the drive gets filled again.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Gary

--
Gary Webb MCP, MCSE
"Jomtien" wrote in message
Gary Webb wrote:

Have tried a software reload but still the same. The problem is most
noticeable when using the Sky + Planner and pause/play/ffwd/rwd, etc.

Does
the hard drive in the Sky + box get fragmented?

As others have mentioned, if the software reload fails then a disk
format should cure it. You will lose your recordings.

Old August 9th 03, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gary Webb

It has started again. The system only lasted a couple of days before it
started to respond very slowly again. I guess I need a new hard drive then
eh? Any suggestions on what type of drive works, or is any type?

Thanks

Gary

--
Gary Webb MCP, MCSE

Old August 10th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Gary Webb wrote:

Any suggestions on what type of drive works, or is any type?

Links in the FAQ.
You *must* choose the right sort as some just don't work. Personally I
would favour one with a three year warranty above all. You don't need
high spindle speeds etc., in fact the slower ones are more likely to
work.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----