How strange of "Jomtien"

Old July 24th 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stevenatherton

Default How strange of "Jomtien"

well smart alec why do you need a licence for a vcr connected to a moniter or a
omputer with a tv card in it
Old July 24th 03, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gareth Kitchener

Stevenatherton said:

well smart alec why do you need a licence for a vcr connected to a moniter or a
omputer with a tv card in it

Because both of those include a tuner and are therefore capable of
receiving TV broadcasts?

Old July 25th 03, 12:20 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
QrizB

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:58:52 +0100, Stephen Neal
wrote:

On 24/7/03 10:29 pm, in article , "QrizB"
wrote:

On 24 Jul 2003 18:36:53 GMT,
(Stevenatherton)
wrote:

well smart alec why do you need a licence for a vcr connected to a moniter or
omputer with a tv card in it

Simple - you don't. Next queestion?

I thought you DID need a licence for a TV Card if it contains a tuner - as
that is classified as TV Reception equipment, just as a VCR with a tuner
connected to a tuner-less monitor is. Or am I missing the thrust of the
original thread?

The argument put forward by Paul Martin (unfortunately snipped out by
stevenatherton) was that you need a licence to operate TV receiving
equipment, rather than to possess it. This is supported by
correspondence from TVLA themselves, reproduced at
http://www.jifvik.org/tv/ for general information.

If we accept this zargument, having a VCR connected to a monitor, or a
computer with a TV card, does not in itself necessitate possession of
a TV licence, unless you are using the VCR or TV card to receive TV
broadcasts.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 27th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
QrizB

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:56:45 +0000 (UTC),
(Charles Ellson) wrote:

On Thursday, in article
"QrizB" wrote:

snip
The argument put forward by Paul Martin (unfortunately snipped out by
stevenatherton) was that you need a licence to operate TV receiving
equipment, rather than to possess it. This is supported by
correspondence from TVLA themselves, reproduced at
http://www.jifvik.org/tv/ for general information.

If we accept this zargument, having a VCR connected to a monitor, or a
computer with a TV card, does not in itself necessitate possession of
a TV licence, unless you are using the VCR or TV card to receive TV
broadcasts.

Or to display recorded material which originated from a broadcast
transmission (i.e. where the tape/media has become part of the route
from transmitter to television/PC/whatever).

In this case it depends on whether you recorded it yourself, or were
given the tape by a friend / acquaintance / bloke down the pub. In the
latter case, you still don't need a TV licence, but are in breach of
various intellectual property laws.

--
QrizB

be fooled.