Sky+ Power Comsumption

Old July 17th 03, 05:32 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Default Sky+ Power Comsumption

Clem Dye wrote:

Please will someone be kind enough to post the power consumption
ratings for standby and switched on modes.

The manual says 60 watts max, 45 watts typical (whatever that means !)

I can't help you with the power ratings, but consider this: your timer
switch idea could conceivably cut power to the unit whilst it's
receiving an over-the-air software update, resulting in a potentially
dead box. If you do go the timer route, I reckon that your start time
should be at least 07:00 - I'm not aware of $ky ever sending-out a
software update during 'prime' viewing times.

Doesn't work that way. Software updates are quietly downloaded
into a cache. This only transfers into the main operating system
of the box on a re-boot. A re-boot is initiated on a box by box basis
by a signal from Sky (They do this in case there's a major bug, and
everyone would swamp Sky CS with calls at the same time)
You are correct that Sky normally send this command at 6am ish

However you can initiate the same re-boot s/w load by re-powering the
box's mains supply.

The danger is cutting the power whilst a manual *forced upgrade* is in
process. That can cause damage.

Same for standard, and Sky+ boxes.