Message of death

Old July 17th 03, 12:38 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Default Message of death

Simon Gardner [dot]co[dot]uk wrote:

I just got the 'you won't be able to watch this pretty soon' come
up on two FTV $ky boxes on $KY NEWS!

I'm told it's going to run for at least one hour - between 3.30pm and
4.30pm each afternoon at the moment.

Ignore the 'Press BACK UP to remove' message, it's on an auto-refresh
every 15 seconds, so you'll wear your thumb out. ;-)

I wonder how this is triggered ? Has the card been 'programmed' over the
air to pipe up at the specified time, or is there a trigger in the Sky SI data stream
(present on all 'Sky platform' transponders)

I discovered this. The only answer is to remove the card.

It still begs the question as to whether they really mean it.

Another curious fact seems to be that once you do this, the box still
remembers which nation it is in and continues to show the correct
national BBC1 on "101"

This is the case, unless you do a Jomtein style PP re-boot. I'm hoping
that after my V1 card does die, I can keep it in the box to ensure my
local BBC 1 still gets mapped to 101, without some permanent big blue message
telling me my card is dead.

Old July 18th 03, 07:09 AM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Mark Carver wrote:

I'm hoping
that after my V1 card does die, I can keep it in the box to ensure my
local BBC 1 still gets mapped to 101, without some permanent big blue message
telling me my card is dead.

The card info is cached to the box so you can remove the card and
still get your proper version of BBC1. At the moment this does work
but only until the box is rebooted, at which point the Sky box
considers the BBC channels to be scrambled and wont list them until an
active card is re-inserted.

Quite whether this is by design or by error, I don't know.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 18th 03, 07:09 AM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

u1061771156 wrote:

A trace of PID 0xC0 shows they are sending EMMs containing the message
(in plain ascii) plus a query to send to the card. I believe that whether
the message appears onscreen or not depending on the response from the card.

PID traces are beyond me but it seemed likely to me that the
instruction was merely of the form "display this if you are a series
one FTV card", with ex-sub cards working as FTV cards, of course. This
would explain why they pop up on every EPG channel and why they vanish
if you pull the card.