no satelite signal - HELP

Old July 16th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
MarkNTL

Default no satelite signal - HELP

Hello there, I am not receiving a signal on any channel.
I have phoned sky, they told me the usual stuff, turn power off, remove
dish cable, check the copper wire is poking through enough, re connect, turn
on.

Still no signal, then also told me to press ' 0 1 Select' in one if there
service menus, then reset
something.

That hasn't worked either.

That is as far as they can help me, told me to call a Sky engineer which is
£65.

Thanks sky!!! Your great, and you obviously give a toss!!!

They say it could be a fault with the dish or the box.

We don't have window cleaners, so the dish hasn't been knocked or moved, and
the weather
is perfect.

Any ideas/??????/

Thanks

Mark

Old July 16th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
PhilÅ

Mark, give them a buzz, when they say it is £65, say well I can't afford it
at the moment, can I cancel my subscription please. They will at that point
send an engineer free of charge.

Old July 16th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Tiny Tim

PhilÅ wrote:
Mark, give them a buzz, when they say it is £65, say well I can't
afford it at the moment, can I cancel my subscription please. They
will at that point send an engineer free of charge.

You don't say where you live, but thunderstorms are expected in some areas
today. Heavy rain can lead to complete signal loss. Even if you can't see
rain where you are, it might be raining somewhere along the path of the
signal, perhaps a mile away or something.

Also, the trees are in full leaf at the moment so perhaps there is something
obstructing the path that wasn't there through winter or a couple of months
ago. (and trees do grow) Maybe if your signal is marginal a heavy shower
could kill it.

Old July 16th 03, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
bigbrian

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:15:22 +0100, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

PhilÅ wrote:
Mark, give them a buzz, when they say it is £65, say well I can't
afford it at the moment, can I cancel my subscription please. They
will at that point send an engineer free of charge.

You don't say where you live, but thunderstorms are expected in some areas
today. Heavy rain can lead to complete signal loss. Even if you can't see
rain where you are, it might be raining somewhere along the path of the
signal, perhaps a mile away or something.

Also, the trees are in full leaf at the moment so perhaps there is something
obstructing the path that wasn't there through winter or a couple of months
ago. (and trees do grow) Maybe if your signal is marginal a heavy shower
could kill it.

Quite. In fact my next door neighbour has exactly this problem. They
moved in about 8 months ago, and took over the Sky installation from
the previous occupants. Since then. a large tree in an adjoining
garden has grown to the point where its obstructing the signal. The
owner of that tree won't allow it to be pruned.

In the end, my neighbour had to have the dish resited to avoid the
tree.

Old July 18th 03, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Brendan DJ Murphy

Do you know anybody else with Sky Digital?

The first thing I would do is try your digibox in your friend's house and
vice versa.

If his box wont work in your home, then it definately points to a dish/cable
problem
If your box wont work in his home, then perhaps your digibox is suspect.

Fingers crossed that your box is OK, as dishes, LNB's and cabling are
relatively cheap compared to replacing/repairing the digibox.

Brendan