Still do not get why Series 2 Cards cannot still work for ITV/C4/Five

Old July 14th 03, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Default Still do not get why Series 2 Cards cannot still work for ITV/C4/Five

Ed wrote:

My poor old Series 1 FTV card has stopped working, my understanding is
that Series 2 FTV cards are still working.
Is this true, or have all the FTV cards stopped working?

Series 2 cards are still working.

As for your other points, yes, there is no reason why Sky shouldn't
supply FTV cards, shouldn't allow old FTV cards to carry on working,
shouldn't be obliged by the government to do any or all of the above.

Supplied in bulk cards must cost all of a fiver or so, delivered to
the user, and there need be no ongoing expense in keeping them
working.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/guiv
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 14th 03, 11:55 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ed

Default Correction : Still do not get why Series 1 Cards cannot still work for ITV/C4/Five

Jomtien wrote in message . ..
Ed wrote:

Sorry the title should have been written Series 1 cards cannot work,
and then what I wrote before may make more sense, sorry it was late.

My poor old Series 1 FTV card has stopped working, my understanding is
that Series 2 FTV cards are still working.
Is this true, or have all the FTV cards stopped working?

Series 2 cards are still working.

As for your other points, yes, there is no reason why Sky shouldn't
supply FTV cards, shouldn't allow old FTV cards to carry on working,
shouldn't be obliged by the government to do any or all of the above.

Supplied in bulk cards must cost all of a fiver or so, delivered to
the user, and there need be no ongoing expense in keeping them
working.

Exactly, but what I still do not get is why my Series 1 card stopped
working in the first place. People are saying it is the BBC's fault,
but if it was straight the BBC's fault then all the Solus cards would
have stopped working not just the series 1. Did Sky just take the
opportunity of what was happening to stop broadcasting the Series 1
codes.
Do Series 1 Sky cards still work?
If it is simply that the Series 1 codes have stopped being broadcast
then it is as simple as someone turning them on again.
I agree that supplied in bulk cards must not cost that much at all,
and could quite profitably be supplied for a fiver. Of course there
would then have to be a call to tie them in to the box, though this
could be done over the internet to save costs.
What I do not understand is why I need a new card, why did my card
stop working. Was it killed? If so who by? Have the series one codes
just stopped being broadcast? If so why cannot they just be restarted
on the relevant channels.
It seems the only real reason why the Series 1 Cards have stopped
working is Sky spite.
Old July 15th 03, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Ed wrote:

What I do not understand is why I need a new card, why did my card
stop working. Was it killed? If so who by? Have the series one codes
just stopped being broadcast? If so why cannot they just be restarted
on the relevant channels.

I don't know why your card has stopped working either as most FTV
cards seem still to be functioning though the warning banners seem to
be more and more common.

The reasoning why the series 1 cards will soon stop working is that
Sky is changing the encryption system (presumably for security
reasons) and they say that they old cards are not suitable for this. I
see no reason why the FTV channels couldn't benefit from
dual-encryption in order to allow the old cards to continue working.
There are no security problems with the FTV channels for obvious
reasons.

Old July 15th 03, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Alan Teague

Jomtien scribbled a message in
. This may or may not have
been its contents:

Ed wrote:

What I do not understand is why I need a new card, why did my card
stop working. Was it killed? If so who by? Have the series one codes
just stopped being broadcast? If so why cannot they just be restarted
on the relevant channels.

I don't know why your card has stopped working either as most FTV
cards seem still to be functioning though the warning banners seem to
be more and more common.

Started appearing on my S1 card today, on ITV1, C4 and C5.

--
Alan | Please remove hat if replying by e-mail
Fancy a browse? http://www.chuffin.co.uk/
Old July 15th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ed

Jomtien wrote in message . ..
Ed wrote:

What I do not understand is why I need a new card, why did my card
stop working. Was it killed? If so who by? Have the series one codes
just stopped being broadcast? If so why cannot they just be restarted
on the relevant channels.

I don't know why your card has stopped working either as most FTV
cards seem still to be functioning though the warning banners seem to
be more and more common.

I presumed this had happened to other people, but yourself and someone
else said I should still have the channels, when in my case on
Thursday they just disappeared. I pulled the out and pushed it in and
waited and nothing happened, and tried that again. No luck.
So

I did a reboot, and it did spend quite a lot of time on the Software
updating. I do not have the digibox connected to a phone line and
since I have an old analogue box, an old digital satellite box as well
as the digibox I have a switchable four plug and I switch them off at
night.
The message I was getting was no sky card, so I thought they've killed
my card, but no something else obviously happened on Thursday, or was
it just coincidence. I suspect I was on an older version of the
software and perhaps that could not cope with something that happened
and my card stopped working. I don't know.
Anyway now I've got the other channels back. Sky Welcome had stopped
working as well, I did not realise that was FTV.

The reasoning why the series 1 cards will soon stop working is that
Sky is changing the encryption system (presumably for security
reasons) and they say that they old cards are not suitable for this. I
see no reason why the FTV channels couldn't benefit from
dual-encryption in order to allow the old cards to continue working.
There are no security problems with the FTV channels for obvious
reasons.

Presumably there are new cards in use at the moment and so either the
new cards can cope with the new encryption, and therefore the FTV
channels could continue on the old encryption, or they are
broadcasting keys for both new and old encryptions systems. Either way
there is no reason for the FTV Series 1 cards to stop working.
What I cannot believe is that ITV, who quite certainly do not like
Sky, do not realise this and kick up a fuss, afterall it is them that
will suffer. They pay Sky anyway and you would think that it is a
change that Sky are making to their encryption that will lose them
viewers you would think they would be able to stop the change.
Old July 16th 03, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

KotF wrote:

So the decision to stop series 1 cards working is absoultely independent of
the BBC's decision to go FTA?

Pretty much, yes. Certainly the cards were going to be changed anyway,
regardless of whether the BBC still used them or not.

That would seem to make Sky responsible for
this fiasco.

Pretty much, yes.

Old July 16th 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
KotF

"Jomtien" wrote in message

That would seem to make Sky responsible for
this fiasco.

Pretty much, yes.

Well I got the warning banner for the first time last night (Solus card) -
although only on 6.30 ITV regional news - it never appeared again after
that. Still, good enough for me to now put pen to paper to my MP...

KotF

Old July 16th 03, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Geoff Rimmer

Default Emailing your MP about loss of FTV service

"KotF" writes:

Well I got the warning banner for the first time last night (Solus
card) - although only on 6.30 ITV regional news - it never appeared
again after that. Still, good enough for me to now put pen to paper
to my MP...

Here's how to email your MP:

1. You should only email your *own* MP, otherwise they won't read it.

2. You should write your *own* letter, not simply copy someone else's,
or a template. Repeated emails will not be read.

3. If you don't know your MP's name or constituency, go to:

http://www.faxyourmp.com

and type in your post code. This will give you the MP's name and
constituency. Don't bother faxing your MP for now, as the site
seems to be having technical difficulties with faxing at the
moment.

4. Now that you have your MP's name or constituency, visit:

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/directories.cfm

and if they have an email address, you can send them an email from
the website.

Now, one important thing we need to ensure is that all our emails are
clear and include all relevant points.

Here are some example points. I'd like to invite others to comment on
these, so that we can put together a definitive list of points we need
to get across.

1. Tell your MP that you are very concerned with the plan to remove
ITV1, C4 and C5 from Digital Satellite for Free-to-View viewers.

2. Say that this may affect up to 700,000 viewers in the UK.

3. Say that your only options a

(a) Pay Sky 150 per year to continue watching ITV1, C4 and C5.
Don't see why should have to pay Sky a monthly fee to watch
channels that should be free.

(b) [IF FREEVIEW IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA] Buy a Freeview box for
about 100. Having spent money on getting a Sky dish installed,
why should you have to now also buy a Freeview box to continue
watching ITV1, C4 and C5 on digital?

(c) Go back to using the old analogue signal. Backwards step
compared to the government's stated wish to get everyone to switch
from analogue to digital by 2010.

4. [IF YOU GET BAD TERRESTRIAL RECEPTION WHERE YOU LIVE] Give details
(e.g. can't get C5 at all, or C4 is really fuzzy), so you have
relied on your Free-to-View card just to watch the standard 5
channels.

5. [IF FREEVIEW IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA] Say so, and explain
that this is depriving you of the digital TV which the government
is encouraging you to switch to.

I think we should also be putting forward a solution to the problem
(rather than just complaining). How about something like this:

(a) People with Free-to-View cards should be able to continue using
them to watch ITV1, C4 and C5. If older cards (Series 1) need to
be updated, then replacements (Series 2) should be provided for
free.

(b) People who do not yet have a Free-to-View card, but wish to
obtain one, should be able to request one, ideally for free, or
possibly for a nominal one-off fee such as 5.

(c) In the longer term, ITV1, C4 and C5 should follow the BBC's
example and broadcast in the clear, thus removing the need for a
Free-to-View card altogether.

If you decide to email your MP, please don't just copy-and-paste any
of the above, because as soon as they read two similar emails, they
won't read any more. Use your own words and make the details specific
to yourself and your area.

What suggestions would you all make about the above points? Anything
you think is incorrect, or are there any extra points you think should
be included?

--
Geoff Rimmer www.sillyfish.com
Old July 17th 03, 07:17 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Geoff Rimmer wrote:

Here's how to email your MP:

Worth starting a new thread with this info in, I think.