Please read the news story then write to this uninformed MP

Old July 13th 03, 03:15 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Holden McThynge

Default Please read the news story then write to this uninformed MP

wrote in message

The only viewers who are gaining by the whole thing so far, are the
non licence-paying freeloaders in mainland Europe.

We pay a yearly license fee here in Germany as well (even pay a yearly fee
for the AM / FM radio in the automobile). Please feel free to observe all
the German programming you can stand on Astra 1.

Old July 13th 03, 03:30 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Simon Brown

"Holden McThynge" wrote in message

The only viewers who are gaining by the whole thing so far, are the
non licence-paying freeloaders in mainland Europe.

We pay a yearly license fee here in Germany as well (even pay a yearly fee
for the AM / FM radio in the automobile). Please feel free to observe all
the German programming you can stand on Astra 1.

After watching German TV of a Friday evening I can't recommend this course
of action :-)

Sadly the same is true for some Swiss TV although I recommend you listen to
Swiss Jazz Radio. At least the Swiss have the sense to require a card for
their satellite TV to stop people accidentally tuning in.

I bet I pay more for my TV licence that the impoverished viewers in Germany
:-(
--
Simon Brown, Postfach 159, CH-7031 Laax
www.hb9drv.ch

Old July 13th 03, 05:56 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Aztech

wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:30:08 +0200, "Simon Brown"
pausing to cast envious glances at those who had mastered the skill of
reading without moving their lips, wrote:

After watching German TV of a Friday evening I can't recommend this course
of action :-)

Which probably explains why Germans seem so keen to tune into BBC
channels. :-)

BBC One and Two have been legitimately available on Benelux cable networks for
many years, they account for less than 1% of viewing, so your assumption that
the whole of Europe is somehow clamouring for the BBC is somewhat misguided.

Especially when they can simply listen to Bayern 4

Az.

Old July 13th 03, 11:45 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
QrizB

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:17:43 +0200, Taz wrote:

Most Germans I know here couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery but
are willing to have a chuckle about it.

Oh well, the do might not be organised, but the beer should be decent
enough ...

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 14th 03, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Vernon

"Taz" wrote in message
Most Germans I know here couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery

When they opened the (then) new parliament building (Bundestag) in Bonn some
years ago, they opened it to the public a few days before to have a look
round.

The organisation was so dreadful it was utter chaos, and potentially very
dangerous. If there had been a fire, the loss of life would have been
enormous because there was no way out except carrying on in a long queue
through the building and several marquees.

I was appalled.

Old July 14th 03, 01:00 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Holden McThynge

"Taz" wrote in message
Holden McThynge wrote:
snip

Hessen is where I reside. The natives seem to be most stressed and always

in
a hurry, but to what end I have no idea. Can't complain..I listen to HR
Skyline and there's always some news of some new beaurocratic foul-up to
provide me with a chuckle. Well as the saying goes: 'When in doubt, bash

Kraut'.

#Whereabouts? I'm based near Darmstadt (little place called Griesheim).

15 Kilometers north of stadtmitte Farnkfurt am Main. I've been to
Griesheim, bought a second-hand cage for my parrot there.

Old July 14th 03, 01:27 PM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Aztech

"Holden McThynge" wrote in message

They also *claim* that the tax on Champagne, which Kaiser Bill started, goes

maintain the fleet. I have doubts.

That's the most dubious hypothecated link I've ever encountered, at least the
upturn in the world champagne supply was certainly prophetic.

Az.