Please read the news story then write to this uninformed MP

Old July 13th 03, 10:32 AM posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
GH

Default Please read the news story then write to this uninformed MP

Paul Duffy wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3058379.stm

So let me get this right, i've got a Sky dish & box from when i moved into
the house 4 year ago, after about 18 month i got sick of the price hikes
and cancelled my sub and just went back to normal terrestrial.
Then some numpty from the port of tyne decided to build 2 huge metal
warehouses right in the line of my (and most of the people on my estates)
normal aerial which destroyed my picture completely. I get massive
inteferance & ghosting on terrestrial channels making them impossible to
watch. So i buy a 2nd hand sky box & get a bbc card to watch ftv stuff. And
now if i understand correctly, ITV/C4/C5 are only gonna be available if i
pay $ky for a minimum sub?

Old July 13th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mike_C

"GH" wrote in message
Paul Duffy wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3058379.stm

So let me get this right, i've got a Sky dish & box from when i moved into
the house 4 year ago, after about 18 month i got sick of the price hikes
and cancelled my sub and just went back to normal terrestrial.
Then some numpty from the port of tyne decided to build 2 huge metal
warehouses right in the line of my (and most of the people on my estates)
normal aerial which destroyed my picture completely. I get massive
inteferance & ghosting on terrestrial channels making them impossible to
watch. So i buy a 2nd hand sky box & get a bbc card to watch ftv stuff.

And
now if i understand correctly, ITV/C4/C5 are only gonna be available if i
pay $ky for a minimum sub?

This was a SKY digital system, yes?
If so I don't understand why you didn't keep the sytem in use and use
the SKY smartcard which still allowed access to the FTV channels, ITV1
I belive would have been only a few months away as well.
If you had then you you would be watching the FTV and FTA channels
right now with the possibility of the SKY smartcard being replaced by
SKY or at worse having to resubscribe for a single month to get a version
2 smartcard.
If you have a version 1 FTV smartcard then there is no doubt it will be
switched off and at this time there is no way to get another one even
though you pay a license fee to receive UK television.

At this time unless you are desperate I would not subscribe to SKY if it
entailed a minimum 12 month contract, there is still confusion about the
FTV status and who if anyone might fund it.
I would be shocked if the regulator did nothing to encourage/force the
commercials companies to fund the system or SKY to offer it directly
to UK residents for a one off fee.

Mike C