Meridian Regional News

Old July 12th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Rob Martyn

Default Meridian Regional News

We live in Ashford Kent and "should get" Meridian south east news" (which we
do on ITV1 terestrial); but on Sky ITV1 we get Meridian South (Hampshire
etc); any reason why?

Old July 13th 03, 12:29 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stephen Neal

Rob Martyn wrote:
We live in Ashford Kent and "should get" Meridian south east news"
(which we do on ITV1 terestrial); but on Sky ITV1 we get Meridian
South (Hampshire etc); any reason why?

Yep - ITV only broadcast one version of each English ITV franchise on
satellite. Meridian only broadcast the South (Southampton) version - the
Maidstone and Newbury variants are terrestrial only. Similarly Anglia only
broadcast their West variant, Central their Birmingham version, Westcountry
their Plymouth region etc.

The exceptions are Border and HTV who broadcast to two different nations -
HTV Wales and HTV West, Border England and Border Scotland are all carried
on satellite.

This allows ITV to broadcast 16 ITV1 regions - rather than the 20+ versions
that would be required if every news sub-region were carried. (Saves them
paying for an extra transponder...)

Steve