Sky Box Displays and Handbooks

Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Smithy

Default Sky Box Displays and Handbooks

Hi,

I am trying to advise a friend in France about satellite tv (UK FTA only)
which he wants to get, though I do not have it myself - difficult start eh!

I am reasonably technically minded and can read tech handbooks without much
trouble, but he is not and I suspect will run into troubles (seeing the
problems the techie types on here seem to have).

We both realise that FTA only gives a very limited range of channels, but at
the moment he has nothing in English at all.

What I want to know is:

1 Do all Sky boxes use the same on-screen menu displays, or are they all
different?

2 If they are all the same, where can I get (preferably download) a
manual so that I can familiarise myself with it and advise him if and when
he gets the kit.

cheers

Smithy

Old July 11th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Smithy

"QrizB" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:46:32 +0100, "Smithy"
wrote:

I am trying to advise a friend in France about satellite tv (UK FTA only)
which he wants to get, though I do not have it myself - difficult start

eh!

What I want to know is:

1 Do all Sky boxes use the same on-screen menu displays, or are they

all
different?

They are all the same. However, if your friend only wants FTA, I'd
suggest he buys a proper FTA satellite receiver in France, rather than
using a brain-damaged Sky digibox.

Thanks

If he did that, do you know if would he be able to get the channel list ok,
based on the EPG, or would the French box create its own version?

Old July 12th 03, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
JG

wrote:

I am trying to advise a friend in France about satellite tv (UK FTA only)
which he wants to get, though I do not have it myself - difficult start

eh!

What I want to know is:

1 Do all Sky boxes use the same on-screen menu displays, or are they

all
different?

They are all the same. However, if your friend only wants FTA, I'd
suggest he buys a proper FTA satellite receiver in France, rather than
using a brain-damaged Sky digibox.

Thanks

If he did that, do you know if would he be able to get the channel list ok,
based on the EPG, or would the French box create its own version?

The French box will create its own channel list. This is not an entirely bad
thing - the Digibox listing is fixed by Sky. If used to watch only Free To Air,
it means wading through loads of subscription channels with messages about how
to subscribe.

Some satellite receivers allow you to search only for FTA channels and channels
that are successfully decrypted (e.g. Humax 5000 series). In this case, it
wouldn't leave too many channels to re-arrange in the channel list.

Depending on what satellite kit he already has, he may be able to attach a
second dish to his exisitng satellite receiver. Alternatively, he may be able
to use one dish and a motor to move between satellites (commended by the
receiver).

Another solution is to get one of these deals often found in Continental
supermarkets - FTA receiver, Dish, LNB for about 150 Euros.

I hope this helps,
Ciao
JG

Old July 24th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ross

In message , JG writes

wrote:

[...]

This web site:

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.info

has a lot of useful info for installing Sky receivers. Its aimed at the
caravanners market, but the info is just as useful for beginners too.
--
Ross Lockley
Galashiels

http://www.analoguesat.co.uk

Reply address is spam trapped. Remove the trap to reply direct.