Using PC as a 'Sky+'

Old July 10th 03, 05:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Default Using PC as a 'Sky+'

The Old Man wrote:

I would like the Sky+ facility of recording to a hard disk but disagree with
the extra subscription that is required,

That's understandable.

I was wondering if anyone else used their PC as an alternative to Sky+? If
so do you capture from one of the scart sockets using a scart to phono cable
or via the Sky Digibox's RF Out Socket? What are the results like and indeed
is it worth while?

I don't think much of video capturing, especially with cheap
equipment.
If you can find one, I suggest that you get a Tivo.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 16th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
The Old Man

"Jomtien" wrote in message
The Old Man wrote:

[...]

My capture card from Aldi was a Medion for 30 and it works fine with Power
VCR II (handy scheduler built in too) included but this only suports MPEG2
so files are big. I recorded The Simpsons from Sky (BBC2) and the file in
Superior Quality setting was 780MB. I converted it to DivX but the first
attempt using VirtualDub-MPEG2 caused the sound to be out of synch and upon
trying again with DVDx the synch was fine but the conversion stopped a few
mins from the end. After converting to DivX the file size was 203MB.

I want to try the Descaler program next as it lets you record in DivX or any
Codec you like.

Gra.