Dish Alignment Problem.

Old July 9th 03, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Sean O'Connor

Default Dish Alignment Problem.

Firstly, apoligies to readers of the other Sky forum as I have also posted
there...

I would be grateful if someone could offer guidance on a problem I now have.

Sky was working fine this morning, but when we returned home around midday
we were getting messages on screen either to say that there was no signal
being received or that there was a technical fault with the channel.

Tried the usual - power off/on, check LNB connection into digibox end - all
ok. Signal Strength is 50-60% (normal for us) but no bar at all on the Sig.
quality.

Called Sky as a last resort(?) and they again took me through the checks I
had already done, but also the LNB power on/off in the engineer's menu. No
transponder found on the search.

It was then that the helpdesk guy asked if we had had a window cleaner or
someone working on the house today. Yes, the window cleaner had been around
10am! and there is a window within 6 feet of the dish.

LNB checked at the dish and all ok (no strength if this was amiss, so not
that), but it seems the dish may have been knocked by a ladder, possibly -
no proof and window cleaner can't recall anything of this!

I have tried adjusting the dish, but it seems quite solid in terms of the
angle it is at. Sky quoted 65 to realign dish and check the LNB. Aside from
tweaking the angle and shouting to someone in the house, what can I do? What
tool do the engineers use to get the Astra angle right?

I have had a subsequent quote of 35 plus VAT, so puts the Sky quote in
perpective!

Cheers.

Sean.

Old July 9th 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Steve

I had exactly the same problem last week so I went to Maplin Electronics
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ and bought a satellite finder kit for 39.99 it
worked for me and I have got a better signal than I ever had before and next
time the window cleaner knocks it I can re-align it myself again.

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:07:31 +0000 (UTC), "Sean O'Connor"
wrote:

I have had a subsequent quote of 35 plus VAT, so puts the Sky quote in
perpective!

Based upon an analysis of your posting, I would recommend that you
accept the quote of 35 plus VAT.

HTH.

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @freeuk.com

Old July 9th 03, 11:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Martin. S

"Sean O'Connor" wrote in message
[...]

How about this old chestnut:
Tell sky you have no choice but to unsubscribe because you don't
wish to pay for the re-alignment, and witness them tearing up the quote
and sending someone out free of charge.

Martin

---

Old July 11th 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ant

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:21:53 +0100, "Martin. S"
wrote:

Tell sky you have no choice but to unsubscribe because you don't
wish to pay for the re-alignment, and witness them tearing up the quote
and sending someone out free of charge.

"Hello? Is that ITV? Yes, my TV aerial has been knocked down, I need
you to send someone to put it back up again. What's that, you say?
And the horse I rode in on? Well! I'll never watch your channel
again."