Using PC as a 'Sky+'

Old July 9th 03, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Fiendy

Default Using PC as a 'Sky+'

snip

Hi,

I use my PC occasionally as a "sort of" Sky+. I've got an AverTV TV card
which comes with Timeshift facilities IE so you can pause live TV & it works
quite well. The VCR recording quality however, ain't so good. It'll record
to MPEG-I or MPEG-II, & although MPEG-II Best quality is watchable at
fullscreen resolution, it's still a bit blocky & nowhere near DivX quality,
not to mention the massive file it creates (1hr ~ 2Gb).
I could record to DivX under Win Me using alternative apps like VirtuaDub
which gave excellent results, but since I've upgraded to Win XP Pro, I've
not been able to, mainly because I've not got around to looking for
alternative apps that work under XP yet :-)

I've used both RF & Scart to record - Scart's better, although you always
get some picture interference from your PC - nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Also, you obviously can't watch one Satelite channel whilst recording
another with a TV Card (unless you have two Digiboxes!).

HTH,

Fiendy.

Old July 9th 03, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
The Old Man

"Fiendy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'm using WinXP Pro too and am going
to give it a try.
If I find a good method, I'll post back here for those interested.

Regards,
Graham.