Why DOG?

Old July 9th 03, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Vernon

Default Why DOG?

Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it stands
for anything?

Otherwise, where did the name come from?

Old July 9th 03, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
AW Barton

"Vernon" wrote in message ...
Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it stands
for anything?

Otherwise, where did the name come from?

I think it's Digital On-screen Graphic.
Mike.

---
Old July 9th 03, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
AW Barton

"Vernon" wrote in message ...
Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it stands
for anything?

Otherwise, where did the name come from?

Digital On-screen Graphic, AFAIK.
AW

---
Old July 9th 03, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
oo^^artnada^^oo

AW Barton wrote:
| "Vernon" wrote in message
|| Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it
|| stands for anything?
|| Otherwise, where did the name come from?
| Digital On-screen Graphic, AFAIK.
| AW
|

| ---

Distracting On-screen Graphic
Dirty On-screen Graphic
Destroy On-screen Graphic
Dumb On-screen Graphic

Old July 9th 03, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Vernon

"AW Barton" wrote in message
"Vernon" wrote in message

Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it

stands
for anything?

Otherwise, where did the name come from?

Digital On-screen Graphic, AFAIK.
AW

Ah! That make sense.
Ta

Old July 9th 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
NO LOGO

"Vernon" wrote in message
"AW Barton" wrote in message
"Vernon" wrote in message

Silly question, no doubt, but what does "DOG" stand for, assuming it

stands
for anything?

Otherwise, where did the name come from?

Digital On-screen Graphic, AFAIK.
AW

Ah! That make sense.
Ta

Let's hear from the Emperor of the Dog, Stuart Murphy:

http://625.uk.com/dogwatch/

The BBC have done some research into DOGs, and it reveals that the BBC
Choice DOG has in fact had some negative reaction, with some viewers saying
it puts them off watching the station. (See here.)

In a further attempt to get at the truth, Gareth Randall wrote a letter to
the BBC staff newspaper Ariel in May 2000 to see if anyone was prepared to
justify the existence of DOGs on digital without resorting to nonsense
marketing speak. After all, all digital platforms can tell the viewer what
channel he's watching simply by pressing a button on the remote control.
This was the reply from Stuart Murphy:

There are two reasons I want a DOG in the top left of screen. First, I'm
such a slob that I sometimes can't be bothered getting off my sofa to get
the remote control to find out what channel I'm on. Once I have the remote
control I often can't be bothered pressing the button. Even with the DOG in
the top left of screen, I often can't be bothered letting my eyes drift up
to that area of the screen to see what channel it is. Thankfully, for me and
others, the DOG acts as a constant but subtle branding. The second and main
reason, though, is that TIVO launches this Autumn. It will allow people to
tell their set top box what shows they want to see, so that it can record
those shows and play them back at a later date. Unless we have the BBC logo
in the top of frame of every BBC show, we will lose credit for what we are
doing. It's worth saying that when I ran UK PLAY no one complained about the
on-screen DOG, whereas on BBC One or Two people do. Are you saying my DOG is
uglier than theirs?

Old July 9th 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Vernon

I just asked what the letters stood for.

I did not ask for anything else and I did not want anything else.

Opinions on the subject are dealt with elsewhere

Old July 9th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Vernon

"Simon Gardner" wrote in message

I just asked what the letters stood for.

And you were given the wrong answer.

It's Digital(ly) Originated Graphic.

Thanks Simon, well AW did qualify it with AFAIK so that's fair enough

cheers

Vernon