Digi-sender to a PC?

Old July 8th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
bigbrian

Default Digi-sender to a PC?

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:06:06 +0100, SK
wrote:

bigbrian wrote:

Having recently acquired a new graphics card for my PC, with the
facility to watch TV from my office (whoo whoo), I was wondering
whether I can extend this and actually get the Sky fed to it as well,
without cabling it across the house. At the moment, I'm using a
portable TV aerial and getting terrestrial only.

I'm aware of the digi sender thingies you can get that will allow you
to send the Sky to a remote TV, and was wondering whether its possible
to send it to a TV monitor instead, and whether any one here had any
success in doing it? If so, what particular kit did you use?

I do this. I have a VCR(to plug the scart into) between the Video
sender and the VideoIn on the TV card.

Just to clarify this then, you have the VCR plugged into the TV card,
the video receiver (?) connected to the VCR via a scart, and the video
sender connected to the Sky box? (how.....I'm fresh out of Scart
connections on the Sky box). Or is to connected to the TV? (I'm out of
Scart connections there too!)

Also make and model info on the sender/receiver kit would be
appreciated

Cheers

Old July 8th 03, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
bigbrian

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:59:59 +0100, SK
wrote:

The video sender is the AEI digisender available from Argos.
You get two parts a receiver and a transmitter.

I plug one end of the digisender transmitter scart cable into the sky
box and I can still plug another scart into the sky box because the
digisender scart cable has a scartthrough connector. So you do not
loose any scarts by adding the AEI digisender. The other end of the
cable is permantly plugged into the digisender transmitter.

The signal is then transmitted upstairs and received on the digisender
receiver. The cable from the transmitter runs to the scart connection
on the VCR.

OK, I think I understand all that, as long as you mean "receiver" when
you say "transmitter" in the last sentence (?)

From here I run a cable (scart to video/audio) which plug into my
Hauppauge WinTV Theatre TV card. You can use a Scart to S-video cable
which would be better or just a normal aerial cable.

I can work on my PC and have a small window open in one corner and
watch sky/freeview/analogue.

The problem came when I added my wireless network. It works okay, but
distorts the TV signal with intermittent glitches.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I don't think it will be a
major problem, since I rarely have need of the wireless network when
I'm working in the office (its only networked to a laptop which
wouldn't normally be on unless I was using it). I take it that, as
long as I remember to turn off the wireless receiver before I go and
access the network from the laptop, it won't be a problem?

The only way to prevent the glitches is to turn off the wireless
transmitter which is not very practical as I have a combined Adsl
wireless/router.

Ah, I can see that might be problem g. My broadband isn't ADSL and
doesn't have a router, so I think I can just unplug the USB adapter
when I want to watch the TV.

Cheers

Old July 8th 03, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
James Winters

"SK" wrote in message

The problem came when I added my wireless network. It works okay, but
distorts the TV signal with intermittent glitches.

Have you changed channel on your wireless router. You have 11 channels to
play with in roughly 3 bands (because of overlap). I've found that keeping
my digisender on channel 1 and my access point on channel 11 that i don't
get too many interference problems. (although my wireless mouse does
occasionally jump to the top left, maybe i've got too many wireless devices
:-))

--
James