Sky Box and s-video

Old July 8th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Philip Rayne

Default Sky Box and s-video

I am planning on getting a projector screen, and a new amplifier. I was
thinking of feeding the video directly into the amplifier for most of my
equipment. The projector will only have one component connection (for the
DVD player I guess), and 1 s-video connection, and 1 PC connection.

If I get a scart to s-video connector will the sky box pass s-video through,
or will it only output either RGB or s-video?

Thanks.

Old July 8th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
jackal

If I get a scart to s-video connector will the sky box pass s-video
through,
or will it only output either RGB or s-video?

Just get an RGBS-Video converter from maplin and it will work fine.
However, if I were you I would get a sky+ box as that has a separate S-Video
socket and is DD5.1 compatible.

Old July 8th 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Philip Rayne

Actually, you just made me realise something. I have a Tivo, so the output
signal will be coming from that.

I am guessing that the Tivo does not output S-video, so I guess the RGB to
s-video converter will be the way to go.

Old July 8th 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Philip Rayne wrote:

If I get a scart to s-video connector will the sky box pass s-video through,

No.

What a shame to drop RGB in favour of the vastly inferior S-Video. Buy
an RGB scart switch instead.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Old July 8th 03, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Adrian \(CatMan\)

Jomtien wrote:
Philip Rayne wrote:

If I get a scart to s-video connector will the sky box pass s-video
through,

No.

What a shame to drop RGB in favour of the vastly inferior S-Video. Buy
an RGB scart switch instead.

The OP said he was getting a projector, I'd like to see a projector which
will accept an RGB signal.
--
Adrian

Old July 9th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Walt Davidson wrote:

Given that the digibox is supplied with a scart and that the Sky
engineers are supposed to set it up at installation I doubt that very
much.

ROTFL!!!!! The Sky engineer took one look at my VCR, DVD player and 2
other satellite boxes ... and promptly set up the Sky box to work
through the aerial lead to the TV.

There is no doubt that some installers will do a bad job. I suspect
that most will get the scart connections right, even if they also make
the usual superfluous RF connection.

Old July 9th 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Adrian \(CatMan\)

Jomtien wrote:
Walt Davidson wrote:

Given that the digibox is supplied with a scart and that the Sky
engineers are supposed to set it up at installation I doubt that
very much.

ROTFL!!!!! The Sky engineer took one look at my VCR, DVD player and
2 other satellite boxes ... and promptly set up the Sky box to work
through the aerial lead to the TV.

There is no doubt that some installers will do a bad job. I suspect
that most will get the scart connections right, even if they also make
the usual superfluous RF connection.

There is no doubt that most installers will leave the default digibox
setting of composite video rather than RGB. When I was working as a retuner
for channel five, I was amazed how many nicam VCRs, including S-VHS, that
were connected solely via RF.

Old July 9th 03, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
bigbrian

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:20:01 +0100, "Adrian \(CatMan\)"
wrote:

Jomtien wrote:
Walt Davidson wrote:

Given that the digibox is supplied with a scart and that the Sky
engineers are supposed to set it up at installation I doubt that
very much.

ROTFL!!!!! The Sky engineer took one look at my VCR, DVD player and
2 other satellite boxes ... and promptly set up the Sky box to work
through the aerial lead to the TV.

There is no doubt that some installers will do a bad job. I suspect
that most will get the scart connections right, even if they also make
the usual superfluous RF connection.

There is no doubt that most installers will leave the default digibox
setting of composite video rather than RGB. When I was working as a retuner
for channel five, I was amazed how many nicam VCRs, including S-VHS, that
were connected solely via RF.

Taking a limited sample of the two installations I've had (Original
installation + a subsequent Sky+ installation), plus the two
installations my brother has had (ditto), with 4 different installers,
they've ballsed it up 3 out of 4 times.

My brother had his Sky+ installed today (after the guy who arrived a
couple of weeks ago to do it refused to go whether the original
installer had set up the dish).

He's got someone coming back tomorrow to give him back all the
terrestrial channels he lost during today's install because of the way
it was wired up.

Old July 10th 03, 06:46 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Bob Latham wrote:

I'm not concerned about the average punter. I'm concerned about
myself. I can see the difference, therefore it is important to me.

Can you really? Have you really tried it? If this was a DVD source maybe
but Sky? Would you be able to walk into your room and look at a normal Sky
TV prog and know (from a sensible viewing distance) if it was RGB or
S-Video? Extremely unlikely I would think.

I can certainly tell the difference on my TV when switching from
S-Video to composite to RF and to RGB, even from the same source. And
my current TV is a very good one. On my previous TV the difference was
more than just noticeable, it was staggering.
The difference is more down to the way the signals are treated in the
TV than to the source from which they come and I think that the
various transmission methods just look very different on-screen.