Sky subscription - FTA Saga

Old July 5th 03, 10:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Rob Taylor

Default Sky subscription - FTA Saga

Hi all,

I have a sky box which I have been using for a while with the BBC
card. Now they are cutting ITV, C4 and C5, I thought I would buy a
subscription for the box (I'd been wanting to do this for a while but
never got around to it).
So I call Sky and one of their 'cocky' sales people tell me that even
though I have a box/dish already, the only way I can subscribe to Sky
is to buy a new box from them for 1.

Can this be true? I don't want a new box, and I certainly don't want
them to come and install a dish when I have one that is perfectly
fine. Surely they can send me a new card and sub without a new box.

Has anyone else had any experience with this, and can offer any
suggestion about what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old July 5th 03, 11:52 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
-= debully =-

The sensible thing would be to buy another box for a quid. Was that a

real
question?

Not if he doesn't want a 12 month contract it isn't!
Try a different tubby.

debully

Old July 6th 03, 12:02 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Mike_C

"-= debully =-" wrote in message

The sensible thing would be to buy another box for a quid. Was that a

real
question?

Not if he doesn't want a 12 month contract it isn't!
Try a different tubby.

debully

The 12 month minimum term still applies if he has never had a subscription before,
the only difference would be not requiring a phone connection since he hasn't
received a subsidised install.

Mike C

Old July 6th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
-= debully =-

The 12 month minimum term still applies if he has never had a subscription

before,
the only difference would be not requiring a phone connection since he

hasn't
received a subsidised install.

Mike C

Yes, I incorrectly interpreted his OP as having an ex-sub box. Must learn
to actually read.

Regards,

debully

Old July 6th 03, 12:52 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Mike CJ

"Rob Taylor" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I have a sky box which I have been using for a while with the BBC
card. Now they are cutting ITV, C4 and C5, I thought I would buy a
subscription for the box (I'd been wanting to do this for a while but
never got around to it).
So I call Sky and one of their 'cocky' sales people tell me that even
though I have a box/dish already, the only way I can subscribe to Sky
is to buy a new box from them for 1.

Can this be true? I don't want a new box, and I certainly don't want
them to come and install a dish when I have one that is perfectly
fine. Surely they can send me a new card and sub without a new box.

Has anyone else had any experience with this, and can offer any
suggestion about what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Rob

I would have thought that a digibox, lnb, dish, cabling and installation all
for 1 would be great, you would then have two boxes, one of which would only
receive the BBC channels & BBC 4 is great, and the other for all channels, all
that for 1 is not to be sneezed at.
Mike.

---

Old July 6th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Rob Taylor

Hi,

Having thought about this a bit more since the call with Sky (I was a
bit miffed at them telling me it wasn't possible), it would not be
such a bad thing to get a new box. Of course I would have to take a
min term 12 month contract, but the really annoying part is the need
for installation. I assume that that they would want to come to the
house and remove my existing dish and cableing. It just seems a lot of
work when it could be so easy! I'll give them another call and see if
I can get any more joy out of them.

thanks
Rob
Old July 6th 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Dom Robinson

In article , "Adrian \(CatMan\)"
says...
Rob Taylor wrote:
Hi,

Having thought about this a bit more since the call with Sky (I was a
bit miffed at them telling me it wasn't possible), it would not be
such a bad thing to get a new box. Of course I would have to take a
min term 12 month contract, but the really annoying part is the need
for installation. I assume that that they would want to come to the
house and remove my existing dish and cableing. It just seems a lot of
work when it could be so easy! I'll give them another call and see if
I can get any more joy out of them.

thanks
Rob

When the installer arrives and sees you already have a dish, I'm sure he'll
be quite happy for you to sign his work sheet to say you're happy with his
work and go on his way.

Does that mean HE gets the free dish?
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
Old July 6th 03, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
oo^^artnada^^oo

Dom Robinson wrote:
| In article , "Adrian
| \(CatMan\)" says...
|| Rob Taylor wrote:
||| Hi,
||| Having thought about this a bit more since the call with Sky (I was
||| a bit miffed at them telling me it wasn't possible), it would not be
||| such a bad thing to get a new box. Of course I would have to take a
||| min term 12 month contract, but the really annoying part is the need
||| for installation. I assume that that they would want to come to the
||| house and remove my existing dish and cableing. It just seems a lot
||| of work when it could be so easy! I'll give them another call and
||| see if
||| I can get any more joy out of them.
||| thanks
||| Rob
|| When the installer arrives and sees you already have a dish, I'm
|| sure he'll be quite happy for you to sign his work sheet to say
|| you're happy with his work and go on his way.
| Does that mean HE gets the free dish?

more than likely he'll flog it on Ebay!

Old July 6th 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Rob Taylor

Thanks guys, I'll try again and let you know!

Cheers
Rob