New sub then cancell cure all for FTV probs?

Old July 5th 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
-= debully =-

Default New sub then cancell cure all for FTV probs?

As header but.

Box is from a previous house and is currently BBC (dark blue, yellow house)
carded.
Also has a light blue card associated with it.

Presume I can resub to sky for a month (no 12 month contract) fro 12.50,
recieve a new card, then cancell and live happily ever after?

Or am I reading the situation incorrectly?

debully

x-posted (appologies to those offended - I think its relevant)

Old July 5th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

-= debully =- wrote:

Box is from a previous house and is currently BBC (dark blue, yellow house)
carded.
Also has a light blue card associated with it.

Keep the light blue card as a souvenir. I believe that the other card
will continue to decode the FTV channels for a long time. I may be
wrong. We shall see.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
Fed up with logos / red buttons? : http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 6th 03, 06:42 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

oo^^artnada^^oo wrote:

| Keep the light blue card as a souvenir. I believe that the other card
| will continue to decode the FTV channels for a long time. I may be
| wrong. We shall see.

Chances are you WON'T get C4, and possibly not ITV or C5, still to be confirmed.

I see no reason whatsoever why any active series 2 card should stop
decoding the FTV channels before series 3 is released. This isn't to
say that it won't happen but if it does it will presumably just be a
deliberate act on Sky's part to annoy people.

Old July 6th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
-= debully =-

"Jomtien" wrote in message
oo^^artnada^^oo wrote:

I see no reason whatsoever why any active series 2 card should stop
decoding the FTV channels before series 3 is released. This isn't to
say that it won't happen but if it does it will presumably just be a
deliberate act on Sky's part to annoy people.

But surely sky like deliberately annoying people?

Why else would you employ a brain dead, ignorant bunch of knobs and stick
them in your c/s's?
And I can't see Sky passing up the chance to force a few folks onto a sub.
But time will tell.

debully

Old July 6th 03, 02:22 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
oo^^artnada^^oo

Martin Pickering {UK} wrote:
| In article ,
| Jomtien wrote:
|
|| I see no reason whatsoever why any active series 2 card should stop
|| decoding the FTV channels before series 3 is released. This isn't to
|| say that it won't happen but if it does it will presumably just be a
|| deliberate act on Sky's part to annoy people.
|
| My understanding is that BskyB has no access to the FTV database so
| how can they "turn off the cards" if they don't know the numbers?
|
| Martin
| http://www.satcure.co.uk

They don't have to "turn off the cards" they simply have to change the channels to
encrypted form!

If your card is not authorised to view encrypted channels, you won't see them.

This is a round about way to "turn off the cards"!

Old July 6th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
loz

"Martin Pickering {UK}" wrote in message
Jomtien wrote:

I see no reason whatsoever why any active series 2 card should stop
decoding the FTV channels before series 3 is released. This isn't to
say that it won't happen but if it does it will presumably just be a
deliberate act on Sky's part to annoy people.

My understanding is that BskyB has no access to the FTV database so how can
they "turn off the cards" if they don't know the numbers?

because they encyrpt the channels as part of a package. Hence the FTV card
doesn't have access. Surely it doesn't need to address each individual card?

Loz

Old July 6th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
u1061771156

In article , Martin Pickering {UK} wrote:
In article ,
Jomtien wrote:

I see no reason whatsoever why any active series 2 card should stop
decoding the FTV channels before series 3 is released. This isn't to
say that it won't happen but if it does it will presumably just be a
deliberate act on Sky's part to annoy people.

My understanding is that BskyB has no access to the FTV database so how can
they "turn off the cards" if they don't know the numbers?

Martin

I suspect they do have the numbers, and generate the "whitelist" data
from them as well as for subscription cards. They maybe don't have the
names or addresses (except the Postcode?)

Even if not, they have the numbers of all subscription cards, and
could just turn off all others...

Mike.

Old July 7th 03, 07:21 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

u1061771156 wrote:

I suspect they do have the numbers, and generate the "whitelist" data
from them as well as for subscription cards. They maybe don't have the
names or addresses (except the Postcode?)

I'm inclined to agree.