Analogue Astra question

Old July 4th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Wayne Stuart

Default Analogue Astra question

Hey!

I've just this very day had my Sky minidish and my old Astra analogue
dish merged into a single 80cm dish. But I now have a problem. Sky
Digital is working fine, but the analogue Astra reception has gone a bit
weird.

I'm using an old Amstrad SRD400 with the frequency switcher thingy to
get at the former 1D channels, and they put a new universal LNB on.
Switched it on, and all the channels are now not where I put them. The
frequencies have shifted up 16 places, which has resulted in 11464H and
above being no longer receiveable using my system, which is bad as it
incorporates channels such as DSF, MTV Germany, and CNN.

The frequency shifter doesn't pull anything in anymore either when
engaged, and what's weirder is if I disconnect it altogether, I can't
get anything at all!

Looking for options guys. Can anyone help or tell where I'm going
wrong?

Cheers!

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne "Dark 1" Stuart

And this site is crap - Don't go he
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/
Old July 4th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Patrick Collins

Your new Universal LNB is acting as a 9.75 GHz model (in the absence of any
switching tone to engage its High band), whereas your previous LNB was
obviously a 10 GHz model. This would account for all channels being 16
spaces out.

If the frequency shifter is the common Global ADX version, its mode of
operation can be reversed (by poking a matchstick or biro-refill etc into a
small hole on the side, to operate a switch, an irreversible operation
unless you dismantle the unit to switch it back). It will then shift the
top bank of 16 channels down in frequency, to enable their reception on your
Amstrad.
This is explained in the ADX instructions, if you have them.

Hope this helps.

Patrick J Collins

news:1fxl4w4.a85xd11xovsjkN%[email protected] orespam.co.uk...

Old July 4th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Wayne Stuart

Patrick Collins wrote:

[...]

Now then... It is a Global (UK) Communication ADX Plus, and it does have
a hole. Well, poked that hole, and nothing happened, so pulled it
apart, and there is a switch. Unfortunatley, nothing different happens
in either position.

This is explained in the ADX instructions, if you have them.

The only instructions I got were an A4 sheet, presumably from Sky, on
how to fit it and which of their channels you could get with it.
Unsurprisingly, no mention of any hole or switch.

Hope this helps.

No, but thanks anyway. :-)

Old July 4th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Patrick Collins

Wayne

After the switch in the hole has been operated (to the IN position) then on
enabling the ADX (switch and red led ON) you should be able to access the
top 16 channels, tuning in the middle of the range of channels on the 48
channel Amstrad; keep the unit OFF for the lower 48 channels (below 11464).

Try again and good luck.

Patrick

Old July 5th 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Wayne Stuart

Ross ] wrote:

In message 1fxlggx.zgbfzyfhg6aoN%[email protected] am.co.uk,
Wayne Stuart writes
Patrick Collins wrote:

Wayne

After the switch in the hole has been operated (to the IN position) then on
enabling the ADX (switch and red led ON) you should be able to access the
top 16 channels, tuning in the middle of the range of channels on the 48
channel Amstrad; keep the unit OFF for the lower 48 channels (below 11464).

Can you get into the menu structure on your receiver? If so, see if you
can change the LNB frequency from 10.0 to 9.75, save any changes, and
you should be able to disconnect your ADX.

As far as I'm aware, the old Amstrad SRD400 doesn't have too much in the
way of options. It's a cheap and cheerful 48 channel Sky receiver with
the built in decoder. As such, I wouldn't imagine it would be able to
cope with anything as advanced as a universal LNB.

If you havent seen my AnalogueSat web site before, you might find
something of interest on it - loads of info about analogue satellite
transmissions above Europe.

Yep, seen it.

Thanks!