FTV - What is going to happen with my Sky Card

Old July 4th 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
nige

Default FTV - What is going to happen with my Sky Card

See BBC info site below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_card_index.shtml

Includes lots of BBC double speak

If you have a Free-to-View, or 'Solus' card
(You have never paid monthly fee to Sky, or any other broadcaster)

This card is very likely to be pale blue with the words "Sky Digital"
printed on it, and will very shortly cease working to the best of our
knowledge mid to end of August. Ultimately SKY will decide the day
they will switch off the cards, this is not within the control of the
BBC.

IF YOUR CARD IS PALE BLUE
(1st Generation and obtained before Feb 2003, with the words 'SKY
Digital' branded onto it)

You will still get the BBC channels that are "Free-to-Air", and the
correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE at 101, and BBC TWO
England at 102, for approximately two weeks after card deactivation.
The box will then default to BBC ONE London at 101, and BBC TWO
England at 102, independent of where you live in the UK. Your local
BBC regional output will be available in the 900's numbers of the EPG.
However without your viewing card you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and
Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package..

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services, any enquiries
relating to ITV,CH4 and CH5 should be directed to the individual
broadcaster..

IF YOUR CARD IS DARK BLUE
(With a picture of a yellow house on it, and was received after
February 2003)

You will get access to all the
FREE-TO-AIR channels,
& the FREE-to-VIEW CHANNELS..

You will get your correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE
and BBC TWO, plus your localised ITV region, at channels 101, 102 and
103 respectively..

Additionally, if you live in England, your local version of BBC ONE
will appear at channel 101 when it is launched at the end of July.

If you live in Wales you will get S4C at Channel 104, instead of
Channel Four.

You will be able to get all the other regional & national variants of
BBC 1 & 2 from the BBC in the 900 numbers on the EPG from the end of
July, independent of where you live.

This card will also cease to function when SKY change their encryption
again in the future. We are not able to say at this time how long the
dark blue card will continue to function; we will provide further
information when it becomes available. When this card ceases to
function you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you

Old July 4th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jaime

[...]

Interesting, If its an earier version then from reports from the 10th of
this month you will only get the BBC channels and any other FTA channels,
you will not get the postcode mapped version of BBC1. If it is the newer
version then it should continue working on all FTV channels acording to
this. However C5 and C4 have states that they will not be avaliabel with the
FTV card it seems acording to the reports posted. Hence you will get the bbc
channels (and any of the obscure FTA channels) with the correct psotcode
mapping if you have the newer sky card, you may get ITV and it seems very
likely you will not get c4 or c5 from the 10th of July.

Regards

Jaime

Old July 4th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
oo^^artnada^^oo

Jaime wrote:
||| Interesting, If its an earier version then from reports from the
||| 10th of this month you will only get the BBC channels and any other
||| FTA channels, you will not get the postcode mapped version of BBC1.
||| If it is the newer version then it should continue working on all
||| FTV channels acording to this. However C5 and C4 have states that
||| they will not be avaliabel with the FTV card it seems acording to
||| the reports posted. Hence you will get the bbc channels (and any of
||| the obscure FTA channels) with the correct psotcode mapping if you
||| have the newer sky card, you may get ITV and it seems very likely
||| you will not get c4 or c5 from the 10th of July.
||| Regards
||| Jaime
|| C4 & 5 wont be available to anyone new to FTV after the 10/07/03 but
|| anyone with an active newer version of the card (with yellow house
|| on it) should be safe until Sky decide to change the cards again.
|| That is my interpretation of it!
|
| Not acording to sky digi online (media bullet), c4 have told them
| that they will become part of the sky subscription package from the
| 10th, as per y earleir post. Also ITV have told ski digi online the
| following, so its not ssure about them either:
|
| 04/07/03 ITV to announce plans of Solus card change next week
| Viewers' are confused over the Free To Air change next week, which
| will see BBC move to Astra 2D. With the BBC's decision in abandoning
| Free To View cards (Solus) many people are left wondering about what
| will happen to their terrestrial channels such as ITV, Channel Four
| and Five. Well, Channel Four's response was published here this
| morning. ITV have now contacted SDO to tell us that they will make an
| official announcement next week once the "mess" has cleared up. ITV
| are unsure themselves about what will happen and are awaiting for
| BBC's free service to go live before saying anything. However, they
| did tell us that their stance will be different to Channel Four's
| because unlike them they will try their utmost best in providing ITV1
| and ITV2 to viewers without a Sky card on a Free To Air set top box.
| Keep it with SDO for the very latest.
| News Feed: Raj Baddhan Source: ITV News Break: 16:14
|

| Jaime

C4 is going part of Subscribtions pack from 10th July!

http://skydigital.mediabullet.co.uk/

Old July 5th 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Jaime wrote:

However, they did tell us that their stance will be different to Channel
Four's because unlike them they will try their utmost best in providing ITV1
and ITV2 to viewers without a Sky card on a Free To Air set top box.

ITV1 and ITV2? Hmm.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
Fed up with logos / red buttons? : http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 5th 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Brian McKenna wrote:

C4 & 5 wont be available to anyone new to FTV after the 10/07/03 but anyone
with an active newer version of the card (with yellow house on it) should be
safe until Sky decide to change the cards again.

That is my interpretation of it!

Mine also.

It's pretty clear that the old cards are to stop working soon though
I'm sure that Sky could continue to dual-encrypt the FTV channels if
they wanted to. Any series 2 cards should continue to decode FTV
channels until the arrival of series 3. Given that as of July 10 no
new FTV cards will be activated there will be no new FTV viewers.

Old July 6th 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Salvador Freemanson

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:19:38 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

It's pretty clear that the old cards are to stop working soon though
I'm sure that Sky could continue to dual-encrypt the FTV channels if
they wanted to. Any series 2 cards should continue to decode FTV
channels until the arrival of series 3. Given that as of July 10 no
new FTV cards will be activated there will be no new FTV viewers.

So that gives me just a few days to request a series 2 solus card and
get it activated.

Anyone done it recently?

Old July 6th 03, 11:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jaime

"Salvador Freemanson" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:19:38 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

It's pretty clear that the old cards are to stop working soon though
I'm sure that Sky could continue to dual-encrypt the FTV channels if
they wanted to. Any series 2 cards should continue to decode FTV
channels until the arrival of series 3. Given that as of July 10 no
new FTV cards will be activated there will be no new FTV viewers.

So that gives me just a few days to request a series 2 solus card and
get it activated.

Anyone done it recently?

No new FTV cards are being issued from the 1st of the month, so unloess you
take out a sky subscription then you wont e able to get a series 2 card.

Jaime

Old July 6th 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Alan Teague

Salvador Freemanson scribbled a message in
. This may or may not have
been its contents:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:19:38 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

It's pretty clear that the old cards are to stop working soon though
I'm sure that Sky could continue to dual-encrypt the FTV channels if
they wanted to. Any series 2 cards should continue to decode FTV
channels until the arrival of series 3. Given that as of July 10 no
new FTV cards will be activated there will be no new FTV viewers.

So that gives me just a few days to request a series 2 solus card and
get it activated.

Anyone done it recently?

I did a couple of weeks ago, but they aren't issuing any more cards now.

--
Alan | Please remove hat if replying by e-mail
Fancy a browse? http://www.chuffin.co.uk/
Old July 13th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Geoff Rimmer

"Jaime" writes:

However, [ITV] did tell us that their stance will be different to
Channel Four's because unlike them they will try their utmost best
in providing ITV1 and ITV2 to viewers without a Sky card on a Free
To Air set top box.

So ITV2 might change from subscription-only to FTV?

--
Geoff Rimmer www.sillyfish.com
www.sillyfish.com - Make savings on your BT and Telewest phone calls.