Ex Sky Subscriber

Old July 4th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Rod

Default Ex Sky Subscriber

Hi, I cancelled my Sky Subs in May of this year. Prior to cancelling I did
receive the new Sky Card. With all the talk of the BBC cancelling contracts
etc I also ordered a FTV card. Up until now I had been using this card
however yesterday I tried my old sky sub card in the box and discovered that
all the FTV channels were now encrypted. This includes BBC channels. Is this
correct as I was under the impression that ex sky sub cards would continue
to receive FTA & FTV. Maybe I've missed an update. Anyway I still have my
Beeb issued FTV card until they decide to kill that off too.

Old July 4th 03, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
www.kernow-telecom.co.uk

"Rod" wrote in message
Hi, I cancelled my Sky Subs in May of this year. Prior to cancelling I did
receive the new Sky Card. With all the talk of the BBC cancelling

contracts
etc I also ordered a FTV card. Up until now I had been using this card
however yesterday I tried my old sky sub card in the box and discovered

that
all the FTV channels were now encrypted. This includes BBC channels. Is

this
correct ..............

No. It's just that your card need authorising every so often over the air.
Leave the old card in for 6-12 hours and they channels should come back. It
happens on my Scottish FTV card from time to time if I don't use it often
enough.

Simon

Get a Nokia 6100 on Orange YourPlan 200 for nothing with freebies!
FREE Nokia unlocks, unmetered internet from 3.99 and ADSL from only 19.99!
http://www.kernow-telecom.co.uk

Old July 5th 03, 07:19 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

www.kernow-telecom.co.uk wrote:

It's just that your card need authorising every so often over the air.
Leave the old card in for 6-12 hours and they channels should come back. It
happens on my Scottish FTV card from time to time if I don't use it often
enough.

Whilst this happens with all FTV cards it doesn't usually happen with
Sky cards, even expired ones that are being used as FTV. This chap's
card may indeed have been de-activated. If it is a series 2 card then
this is a deliberate and malicious act on Sky's part.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
Fed up with logos / red buttons? : http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 6th 03, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ant

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:49:30 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

Thanks. I left it in STB and eventually I got all the BBC channels back then
ITV,CH4,CH5 followed after.
Rod

Jomtien can pack away his theories of "a deliberate and malicious act
on Sky's part" then. :-)

Old July 7th 03, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Ant wrote:

Thanks. I left it in STB and eventually I got all the BBC channels back then
ITV,CH4,CH5 followed after.

Jomtien can pack away his theories of "a deliberate and malicious act
on Sky's part" then. :-)

Perhaps you have missed the hundreds of times that I have explained
how FTV cards forget their authorisation when not used for some time.
What I haven't seen is subscription cards doing this.
There is still plenty of time for Sky to move on to malicious acts
once they have exhausted the effect of sending out warning letters to
ex-subscribers.

Old July 7th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Jomtien wrote:

Perhaps you have missed the hundreds of times that I have explained
how FTV cards forget their authorisation when not used for some time.

What I haven't seen is subscription cards doing this.

Mine did. I moved house three years ago. At the time I had the Value pack
at 7/m (Happy days eh?). To cut a long story short the Digibox was packed away for 3 months.
When I got it out, and reconnected to the dish there were no encrypted channels
available. I phoned Sky and everything got restored within 10 mins.
I expect that if I'd just left it on, they'd have returned after 24 hours or so?

Old July 7th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Mark Carver wrote:

What I haven't seen is subscription cards doing this.

Mine did. I moved house three years ago. At the time I had the Value pack
at £7/m (Happy days eh?). To cut a long story short the Digibox was packed away for 3 months.
When I got it out, and reconnected to the dish there were no encrypted channels
available. I phoned Sky and everything got restored within 10 mins.
I expect that if I'd just left it on, they'd have returned after 24 hours or so?

They probably would have returned and probably in much less than 24
hours. I find that an hour or two usually does it. Perhaps the reason
I don't see this happen often with sub cards is just that people with
subs are less likely to leave the box unused for so long?

Old July 7th 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ant

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:22:17 GMT, Jomtien wrote:

Perhaps you have missed the hundreds of times that I have explained
how FTV cards forget their authorisation when not used for some time.
What I haven't seen is subscription cards doing this.

Perhaps because people use their subscription cards more often.

ALL cards forget their authorisation when not used for some time,
subscription or FTA. This is not a "malicious act by Sky" - it's the
action of the user.

There is still plenty of time for Sky to move on to malicious acts
once they have exhausted the effect of sending out warning letters to
ex-subscribers.

It must be terribly depressing always having to look for the worst in
people...

Old July 7th 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Jomtien wrote:

Mine did. I moved house three years ago. At the time I had the Value pack
at £7/m (Happy days eh?). To cut a long story short the Digibox was packed
away for 3 months. When I got it out, and reconnected to the dish there were
no encrypted channels
available. I phoned Sky and everything got restored within 10 mins.
I expect that if I'd just left it on, they'd have returned after 24 hours or
so?

They probably would have returned and probably in much less than 24
hours. I find that an hour or two usually does it. Perhaps the reason
I don't see this happen often with sub cards is just that people with
subs are less likely to leave the box unused for so long?

Quite. I only left the sub active, because I still wanted access to Sky Talk
during that period. The £21 wasn't wasted, it paid for itself with all those
solicitor and estate agent calls over three months !