Modem broken or not?

Old July 3rd 03, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
P.P.Hughes

Default Modem broken or not?

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic box and recently tried to access my Sky Statement on
line for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Every time I tried to
connect, I got either an error saying that there was a problem with my
phone line, or that I could not be connected and to telephone Sky on their
helpline number and quote error code 111.

I tried accessing a few other on-line services such as HSBC and it worked
fine. So, I phoned the support line and they said that it may be a problem
authenticating the card, so leave it with them and truy again in about a
week.

A week later, not only am I unable to connect to Sky Customer Services to
view my statement, but I can't connect to anything else either. All
on-line services say things like "there is a problem with your phone
line". I've tried the system test (which tells me the telephone line is
connected), re-booting the box and trying a new telephone cable, all to no
avail.

I checked the box is actually dialing out by listening to the "call" on
another telephone handset; the box is dialing out correctly and there is a
response from the server. It sounds much the same when you use a modem on
your PC and you can hear the handshaking noises.

So, is my modem knackered, or is the "problem with phone line" error a red
herring, which roughly translates to the fact that my digibox can't be
logged on to the Sky server? Is it just coincidence that I can't use any
on-line services since phoning Sky?

Any feedback appreciated!

Regards,
Paul Hughes