Press Release: LOGOFREETV receives official response from BSKYB - FTV may be cut off soon - 02/07/2003

Old July 3rd 03, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Steeler

Default Press Release: LOGOFREETV receives official response from BSKYB - FTV may be cut off soon - 02/07/2003

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:12:47 +0100, "Steeler"
wrote:

In the above News Item, BSKYB have now formally implied that FTV

viewers
will soon be disconnected.

Good.

Why? or are you just mean spirited?

Not at all. It will have the effect of increasing the value of my
BSKYB shares.

:-))))

I'm saving a bullet just for you come the revolution.

Old July 3rd 03, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
NO LOGO

wrote:

In the above News Item, BSKYB have now formally implied that FTV

viewers
will soon be disconnected.

Good.

Why? or are you just mean spirited?

Not at all. It will have the effect of increasing the value of my
BSKYB shares.

:-))))

I'm saving a bullet just for you come the revolution.

I hope you did not buy your shares in 2000, Walt.

http://www.moneyextra.com/stocks/LSE/chart/BSY

Was 20. Now 7.

Look. The best way Sky or any business can make profit is by "providing
customers with what they want". If Sky would provide channels in smaller
packages or provide services not obliterated with adverts, DOGs, RED DOTs,
4x3 crops, etc, then more people like me would subscribe.

The cutting off of 560,000 FTV viewers will not effect BSKYB's share price.

However, the prospect of either the BBC supporting a FTA break-out on DSAT
or Expansion of FREEVIEW may well harm BSKYB's share price.

And for the record, I recognise BSKYB's contribution to UK broadcasting and
the market, however, I merely resent its DOG, RED DOT, Crop, and Advertising
policies.

Old July 3rd 03, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Dan Brusca

Look. The best way Sky or any business can make profit is by "providing
customers with what they want". If Sky would provide channels in smaller
packages or provide services not obliterated with adverts, DOGs, RED DOTs,
4x3 crops, etc, then more people like me would subscribe.

It's somewhat simplistic to say the best way to make a profit is to
provide customers with what they want. I'm sure everybody would like to
be able to buy a BMW for a pound, but doing so wouldn't exactly be good
business.

It may seem logical that providing smaller packages of channels for
people would get them more subscribers, but the very fact they don't
indicates to me that Sky have done their homework and concluded that the
current package structure is best for their business.

As subscribers, we may find DOGs etc annoying but I doubt very much it
even enters into the mind of 99% of people taking out their first
subscription. For most subscribers it's one of those issues that if you
ask their opinion, they tell you they would rather not have DOGs etc,
but they don't actually feel strongly enough about it to do anything.
This applies to many things in life.

--
www.lovehateindex.com

Old July 4th 03, 06:42 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Jomtien

Walt Davidson wrote:

(1) I find adverts far preferable to having to pay a licence fee for
channels I rarely, if ever, watch.

Ads on pay channels have nothing whatsoever to do with the licence
fee, or the lack of same.

(2) I have no strong feelings about DOGs, logos, 4 x 3 crops, etc. In
fact I hardly notice them.

You are clearly batty.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/4f9c
Fed up with logos / red buttons? : http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old July 5th 03, 07:19 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Jomtien

Walt Davidson wrote:

(1) I find adverts far preferable to having to pay a licence fee for
channels I rarely, if ever, watch.

Ads on pay channels have nothing whatsoever to do with the licence
fee, or the lack of same.

However, if they were not present the pay channel fees would be even
higher.

So? This still has nothing to do with the licence fee.

You seem to be labouring under the misconception that BSKYB is in
existence to provide a public service. In fact, like any other
business, it exists to make a profit. It's called capitalism.

Many other channels seem to manage on ad revenue alone. I fail to see
why anyone should be expected to pay for channels that carry ads.

(2) I have no strong feelings about DOGs, logos, 4 x 3 crops, etc. In
fact I hardly notice them.

You are clearly batty.

Anyone who disagrees with your narrow views is batty?

No. Anyone who doesn't notice DOGs is batty. This has nothing to do
with my views, narrow or not.