Press Release: UK PSB - 'We can not afford Free To Air DSAT' - 03/07/2003

Old July 3rd 03, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
NO LOGO

Default Press Release: UK PSB - 'We can not afford Free To Air DSAT' - 03/07/2003

http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mod...ews_read&i=121

We have today heard from a top level source from one of the three UK PSB's
that they deeply regret not being able to provide a FTA service, but have
considerable Legal and Financial hurdles in doing so.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky

( the last paragraph of the article -
http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mod...ews_read&i=121 )

"We are today receiving reports from FTV viewers in Northern Ireland
reporting the beginning of the shut-down".

I can report that Channel 4 has been removed from my NI registered FTV card.
Now displays the blue upgrade sreen!!!

(I live in England by the way, got the card to allow me to see BBC 1
Northern Ireland)

Old July 3rd 03, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McKenna

Will series 2 FTV cards stop working as well for ITV,CH4 and Five?

Old July 3rd 03, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
NO LOGO

"NO LOGO" wrote in message

http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mod...ews_read&i=121

We have today heard from a top level source from one of the three UK

PSB's
that they deeply regret not being able to provide a FTA service, but

have
considerable Legal and Financial hurdles in doing so.

This is bad, Jim.

;-(

Old July 3rd 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
NO LOGO

"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
Will series 2 FTV cards stop working as well for ITV,CH4 and Five?

V1 - doomed.

I don't know about V2, however, Sky have said that without funding from a
sponsor, "viewing cards will only be made available in future to subscribers
to a pay-TV service."
http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mod...ews_read&i=120

Does this mean they will deactivate V2 FTV services?

I do not have an absolute answer, however would Sky rather give you a
service for free OR stick a blue message on your screen telling you to
subscribe?

If think Sky being a commercial business, it will be the latter.

;-(

What else can Sky do, they are a business. I suspect they would run into
audit and tax problems if they allowed "free" access to the encryption
service that technically they licence from Newscorp Data Services?

I don't know, Brian. I fear the worst.

Old July 3rd 03, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
NO LOGO

"NO LOGO" wrote in message

[...]

Supplemental:

See Chris Vowles post above. He has been verbally told that V1 and V2 will
die on 10/07/2003.

;-(

Old July 3rd 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky

I can report that Channel 4 has been removed from my NI registered FTV
card.
Now displays the blue upgrade sreen!!!

(I live in England by the way, got the card to allow me to see BBC 1
Northern Ireland)

(my comment above)

My card is a newly activated FTV (series 2) - yet, has just lost Channel 4
:-(

Old July 3rd 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Jim wrote:
I can report that Channel 4 has been removed from my NI registered
FTV card. Now displays the blue upgrade sreen!!!

(I live in England by the way, got the card to allow me to see BBC 1
Northern Ireland)

(my comment above)

My card is a newly activated FTV (series 2) - yet, has just lost
Channel 4 :-(

Go into 'Add Channels' and enter 12168 V SR 27.5 FEC 2/3

Try adding one or more of the other C4 Regions. They're all labelled
"Channel 4", but they are actually, London, South/East, Midlands,North, Ulster,
and Scotland. See if any of those are viewable. At 1pm today C4 London (my region)
was still OK on both V1 and V2 FTV cards.
Old July 3rd 03, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.sky
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
Supplemental:

See Chris Vowles post above. He has been verbally told that V1 and V2 will
die on 10/07/2003.

I bloody hope not as my Mum only got the FTV non-sub dish and box installed
last Friday. And I see that they've even sent series 2 FTV cards out as of
yesterday, so why would they do that if they're going to be shut down within
the space of a week?
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*