Post New Thread
MSF radio clocks. by Ian Field
The least reliable MSF clock did what it was supposed to when the clocks went back - so reception conditions must be good ATM. Retuned the PVR - now have all the channels where they should be.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 1st 17 11:21 AM
by Davey Go to last post
73 433
Way OT - F1 and Valtteri Bottas by David[_14_]
Well, I have been watching F1 on a digital TV :-) There has been a load of excitement over the race for the F1 championship (resolved in Mexico). Lewis Hamilton again. Valtteri Bottas seems to have been completely ignored. He is 15 points behind Sebastian Vettel with 2 races to go. He gained 8 points in the last race.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 31st 17 02:44 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
11 155
Virgin Tivo - how many versions? by David[_14_]
Following on from streaming problems with iPlayer on our Samsung Tivo box, it occurred to me to look and see if there was a newer version of the hardware. Just in case the poor streaming was a hardware issue. http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/set-top-boxes-and-apps.html shows a TV V6 box powered by Tivo. "Say hello to the Virgin TV V6 box, powered by TiVo® – our smallest, smartest,...
October 30th 17 10:14 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
6 163
OT Repair of Sony AV S800 Home Theater System by Davidm
I've got a Sony DAV S800 Home Theater System that has a problem and needs repairing. It's a CD/DVD player, FM tuner and 5 channel surround sound amp, and the front left speaker output has a temperature (I think) related problem, in that it doesn't start working until the unit has been switched on for 10 minutes or so, after which it's fine. I've tried swopping speaker connections on the back of...
October 28th 17 09:06 AM
by Davidm Go to last post
5 146
FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish) by David[_14_]
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner. Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the 1970s. If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView. So is there any real use for a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 17 08:33 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
132 566
Digital/Analogue Connections by Jeff Gaines
My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps. Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical digital audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only). I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue input only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (10-20 on Amazon) or is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp am I likely to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 17 10:24 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
52 399
Aerial Diplex Plate by Jeff Gaines
Not sure if I'm using the right terminology here so please bear with me! I live in a retirement development with 24 properties and a communal aerial. The aerial is wired to all the properties and carries Freeview, DAB and what looks like an old FM band3 (?) aerial. It has masthead amps and a distribution box and the cables run through our lofts to provide 4 outlets in each property. DAB is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 25th 17 06:28 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
24 254
'Cracking' TS files by PeterC
Right, thanks to recent guidance I've flashed the Fosxsat HDR with the custome firmware and done some setting up. Transferring a 2.66GB HD file took about 8 minutes (would have been about 2 hours as a d/l!). Now, of course, I can't play it with anything and none of the software I have will recognise it to convert it to any other format. I thought I had some info on doing this but can't find it....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 17 07:11 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
16 229
Timecode on programme-as-broadcast archive material by NY
This is probably a weird, obsessive question... I've noticed that if you see a programme from a tape archive (eg BBC's Windmill Road) with burnt-in timecode, the TC often begins at 10:00:00 rather than 00:00:00. An example is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf3zE0x_dkI Is there a reason why they chose to begin the TC at a "zero" of 10:00:00?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 24th 17 03:23 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
29 250
iPlayer buffering - VM by David[_14_]
At the moment we are suffering from repeated buffering on iPlayer. This happens on our VM Tivo box, and also on the Humax FreeSat box. We should have enough bandwidth on the Internet connection; a reliable 160 Mb/sec+ is reported by various test tools. Although the Tivo seems to have its own Internet connection I can't see that it should be that much slower; anyway this is happening on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 17 12:54 PM
by Phi Go to last post
15 232
What is worse than not having Audio description? by Brian Gaff
A programme that says it has it in the guide, it flags it on the programmes as it runs but the AD track is totally silent. Pick did this a couple of nights ago. Stargate -1 or whatever said it had it. Maybe it used to have it, but not on the one they put out. I thought it unusual as none of the others in that series had it. Brian --
October 24th 17 08:13 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
5 128
Samsung's invisible "One Connect" box by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I was in John Lewis today, admiring the picture on a Samsung 75" QLED curved TV (QE75Q8CAMT - yours for just over 5 grand!). What interested me was just how thin it was - less than 15mm all round. It was completely smooth on the back, save for the stand fixing. There were only two leads, carefully exiting down from the stand support - a thin, flat cable (mains) and a 3 mm diameter cable....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 20th 17 12:18 PM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
14 231
Completely OT but you're knowledgeable - car toll stickers / black dots by larkim
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc. I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place. But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there? Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 17 10:26 AM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
10 190
Time to regain cost of replacing plasma TV by David[_14_]
I started a Google search but didn't get a final answer. Suggestions are about 10p per day extra if it uses an extra kilowatt. Depending on how long it is on per day. £36.50 a year, then. If it comes out at around £55 per year extra over a new LCD TV and a 42" TV WITH EQUIVALENT PICTURE QUALITY!! would cost around £550 then it would take 10 years to get the cost back. Given that the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 17th 17 11:13 AM
by ChrisK Go to last post
21 236
Aerial amplifier interference question by sintv[_2_]
Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 16th 17 08:15 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
11 183
Cold caller by Bill Wright[_3_]
Hello? Hello? Hello, my name is Karen. The government are giving grants for home improvements to people who are on benefits. Is there anyone in your house who receives benefits? Yes, both of us. What benefits do you receive? Well, the fact is... I'm not sure I can tell you... I need to know what benefits you receive. OK, well, thing is like, it's a special payment for people who have
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 15th 17 08:48 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
45 310
HDMI switcher needed by TonyGamble
I've had some helpful advice regarding Firesticks and the alternatives. Thank you. I now need an HDMI switcher so I can alternate between one of the new Firesticks (being launched 25 Oct) and my Humax Freesat PVR. I did have an HDMI switcher for the Humax and my Sony DVD player but abandoned it. The problem was that when I switched on my plasma it seemed to need what I'd best describe as a kick...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 15th 17 08:43 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
30 252
Offcom and audio Description by Brian Gaff
Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others seem to do most obvious things? I am always being told by rnib how good the AD is now with 'many channels doing more than 20 percent of their output. However Sony and CBS and some other channels never do any at all. After all Sony Movie channel often put out movies which I know had AD in the cinema, so what is stopping...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 14th 17 02:20 PM
by pamela Go to last post
30 228
[OT] LED polarity etc by Pinnerite
It is not often that I point a soldering iron at anything but I wanted to add a switch and an LED to a battery powered function generator about the size of a fat credit card. I decided a strip of Vero board would do and had a few scraps from the early '70s. We use to use lead/tin solder but it appears 'elf-n-safety abolished that. The first thing was which way round to connect an LED. I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 17 09:11 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
10 168
get_iplayer v3.04 by Johnny B Good[_2_]
I noticed an update to get_iplayer v3.03 had shown up in my overdue list of updates waiting to be installed into LM17.1 shortly after reaching a point in my 3 week long transcoding of mpg to mkv odyssey a couple of days back so decided to take the opportunity to close the winXP VM and all the open applications to reduce the risk of update induced screw ups and okeyd the update process. This...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 12th 17 04:43 PM
by Ian Jackson[_7_] Go to last post
30 31