Post New Thread
  Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Reverse Sort Order
The bells at York by Bill Wright[_3_]
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too. The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition he http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/allow-the-york-minster-bell-ringers-to-ring Thank you!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 16 11:25 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
250 4,322
Fixing aerial to chimney - bolts? by Geoff[_5_]
Hi, Is it permissible to fix an aerial to a chimney stack with bolts instead of a lashing kit? I want to replace a lashing kit that seem to have stretched and left the mast at an angle to vertical. The easiest way would be to use rawl bolts into the stack and attach mounting brackets to these. Stack is approx 5ft by 2ft 6" by 5 ft (visible height above roof) TIA
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 12th 08 06:26 PM
by Bill Wright Go to last post
34 4,311
Plasma TVs to be Banned by Dave Farrance
Energy-Guzzling Plasma TVs will be Banned in Brussels Eco Blitz By Fiona Macrae, Daily Mail, 12th January 2009. The plasma screen television is poised to become the next victim of the battle to curb energy use. Giant energy-guzzling flatscreens are expected to be banned under legislation due to be agreed by the EU this spring.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 25th 09 06:25 PM
by Kay Robinson Go to last post
130 4,308
Top Gear - obvious canned laughter by Ian Jackson[_2_]
I've just seen the very end of tonight's Top Gear (prior to watching Dad's Army). Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond were standing in front of a car, discussing its shortcomings etc. Behind them all were standing a fair-sized 'audience' of onlookers. It was very obvious that hardly any of the audience were even smiling - let alone laughing. Despite this, there was lots of loud...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 2nd 13 10:16 PM
by alan Go to last post
177 4,306
Audio Amp from Argos - questions by Malcolm H
Acoustic Solutions SP101 stereo amplifier 59.99 from Argos - questions: 1. Comments and experiences? 2. Does it have a headphone output? All comments will be read gratefully. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 3rd 07 10:16 PM
by Keith G Go to last post
34 4,302
Arqiva pays 2.5bn for National Grid Wireless by DAB is the Betamax of digital radio
From BroadcastNow: "Arqiva pays 2.5bn for National Grid Wireless 3:20pm: Arqiva, owned by Macquarie Bank, has bought transmission company and Freeview muliplex operator National Grid Wireless (NGW) for 2.5bn. More follows." --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 07 11:04 PM
by Ivor Jones Go to last post
140 4,293
Anything positive to say about BBC HD quality. by David
Watched a couple of programmes on BBC HD last night I thought quality had improved, might just have been a program thing, so I wondered if all the complaints might have had a positive result. OR are they achieving nothing? Best wishes for the new year. David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 11th 10 09:09 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_2_] Go to last post
232 4,292
TOT Smoking Ban 2007 by Steve
Now before you all flame me, I'm not a smoker and never have been, but I find this unbelievable! From the middle of this year, there will be a total ban on smoking in public places. No pubs or clubs can even have a smoking room for people who fancy a fag! The only place to be allowed such a smokers room is, guess where? The house of commons !!!!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 18th 07 03:23 PM
by Alec Go to last post
225 4,248
Advice needed by Davey
TV: Toshiba LCD, 2 years old. Location: Within about 30 miles of Tacolneston. Problem: Sometimes, usually in the afternoon rather than the evening, Ch. 10, ITV3 will lose video. It will just show a load of horizontal coloured bars. Audio is unaffected. The built-in signal monitor shows "100%/Good", if that means anything. Same as all the other channels. A re-scan may fix it, for a few minutes. An...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 4th 13 12:42 PM
by Davey Go to last post
244 4,235
the long a by Bill Wright[_2_]
The oft-repeated plugs on BBC TV for an upcoming programme called 'Castles' is beginning to get on Yorkshire's nerves. She says it in a right exaggerated way. 'Car Sells' indeed! If we called it Conisbrough Car Sell folks would look at us funny! Actually there is a secondhand car bombsite at Conisborough. I wonder if he's ever thought to call himself Conisbrough Car Sell? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 14th 14 02:52 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
220 4,209
examples of digital rip-off by Bill Wright
As part of the PARAS campaign we need to collect instances in which vulnerable people have been ripped off as a result of the analogue switch-off. These could be cases in which people have been conned into buying an unneccessary aerial, buying a new TV rather than a set top box, or subscribing to a pay-TV service in order to receive the basic channels. If you have any examples of this sort...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 24th 09 05:40 PM
by Ivor Jones[_2_] Go to last post
201 4,201
How did this happen? by R. Kennedy McEwen
During tonight's "Exposure" about the "Other Side of Jimmy Savile" Sky ran an advert where a girl of 'questionable age' told Bruce Willis that "Sky Broadband was unlimited, AS AM I" before walking off arm in arm with him. Was this a subliminal message that Willis is a paedo? That Murdoch is? (OMG hopefully that isn't Murdoch senior - that is just too gross to contemplate!).
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 14th 12 08:43 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
49 4,198
Willen trading.co.uk - anyone bought from them? by Roger Mills
I'm in the market for a 19" LCD 4:3 computer monitor - and there are not many around, 'cos they're nearly all wide screen. I've found some on Willen's site, but had hitherto not heard of the company. They apparently sell "factory graded or nearly new" items such as TVs and monitors - which seems to be roughly equivalent to Maplin's B-grade stuff - customer returns, packaging slightly...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 7th 10 01:13 AM
by Grimly Fiendish Go to last post
46 4,172
Widerscreen by jamie powell
Earlier while out shopping in the high street, we noticed a Philips LCD TV with an aspect ratio of 21:9. It was showing... you guessed it... 16:9 material in stretch-o-vision mode to occupy the full screen width. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come; it's not going to happen all over again, is it??
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 10th 10 11:27 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
159 4,103
Detector vans, myth or magic? by Bob[_7_]
Remember the Post Office tv detector vans? They could apparently not only tell if an unlicensed tv set was on the premises, but also which part of which room it was in.... Tv sets do put out an rf signal when in use which could in theory be detected but it must be very weak. Also if I remember my lessons you had to use triangulation to get an accurate fix on a signal so to get the actual...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 18th 11 07:02 PM
by Andy Champ[_2_] Go to last post
159 4,102
BBC One HD in Scotland by Scott[_2_]
How come STV manage to show the Scottish programmes in HD in Scotland and BBC One cannot, even though they both use the same multiplex? (I know there are sometimes advantages in having the choice, but that is a different issue.)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 11 11:02 AM
by Albert Ross Go to last post
167 4,102
TV licence evasion... by Stephen H[_2_]
I read this... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22947160 I then got thinking. The BBC could wipe this out by simply using smart card technology on both freeview, freesat and "freesat from Sky" platforms and as a levy on top of a regular sky card subscription.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 7th 13 10:21 PM
by Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_] Go to last post
141 4,061
Reliable PVR? by T i m
Hi all, Not sure this is the right place to ask but I've been tasked with helping some technophobe inlaws into the PVR world. Now, I understand Humax gear is known to be fairly user friendly but I'm not sure they are as reliable as I want to risk as a recommendation (based on the one the Mrs had before I got her a Topfield TF5800 like mine).
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 5th 17 04:33 PM
by T i m Go to last post
182 4,057
technodumbo by [email protected]
please help,I have just bought a dtv,to which i just cannot fathom how to tune correctly,I have a few of the freeview channels but want to watch channel 4 through digital as obviously the quality of the picture is better,Th manual is just gobbledegook so is not really any benefit to me I AM NOT STUPID!!??? well i dont think i am justy maybe missing the obvious ...Any suggestions the tv cost me...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 29th 07 01:01 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
204 4,053
Is LBC on Freeview ? by amstereofan
I can't get Freeview where I am so don't know but I've heard a rumour that it is - true or not ?
January 31st 04 09:36 PM
by John Porcella Go to last post
6 4,048
Post New Thread