Post New Thread
A better YouTube receiver by TonyGamble
We are now spending more time watching YouTube than BBC or ITV. I can feed it to my Panasonic plasma with either my Humax HDR 1105 or my Amazon Firestick. The former is hard wired to by broadband and the Firestick relies on the WiFi from my router. First problem is that neither support HDCP 2.0 and that is what I need to rent an HDTV from YouTube. Second is that both suffer from delays when...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 16th 17 09:24 AM
by TonyGamble Go to last post
56 456
BBC Scotland - scope for confusion? by Scott[_2_]
I see that - subject to Ofcom consent - there is to be new BBC Scotland television channel. As far as I can see, it will be SD only and will take the position of BBC Four (channel 9 on Freeview). All the opt-outs on BBC Two will transfer to the new channel so in effect BBC Two Scotland will end, to be replaced by BBC Two England. BBC Two SD and BBC Two HD will be the same. 1. Will having a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 15th 17 02:50 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
49 269
Would you believe it ? by Phi
Kodi has been the subject of controversy for some time, and addon repository TVAddons has, in particular, been criticized from many quarters. Having recently announced that it will no longer proactively check for pirated content, TVAddons is suggesting that there's a very good reason to use Kodi addons to stream online content -- security. The site says that one of the reasons Kodi is so...
December 15th 17 01:12 PM
by Phi Go to last post
0 88
get_iplayer v3.07 problem with --available-since hours) command by Johnny B Good[_2_]
I've just updated get_iplayer via the ubuntu PPA (using Linux Mint 17.1) and the "--available-since hours" command no longer produces any listings, nor even an error message. I've checked out the documentation and the FAQs but can't find an answer. I've tried the cache rebuild command and even restarted the computer but all to no avail. The previous update to v3.06 just over a month ago...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 15th 17 10:24 AM
by Davey Go to last post
13 14
RFID wallets by Mike
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:12:34 +0000, Mike wrote: On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:19:25 -0000, "Brian Gaff" wrote: I have looked at some of these wallets, but I'm seriously thinking that asking for a non contactless card might be a good idea I have just asked my bank if I can have a non-contactless card and they said no.
December 15th 17 09:11 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
5 54
Volume management not. by Brian Gaff
I notice over the last couple of weeks that channel volumes on the freeview stations are drifting more and more apart. Have the recently got rid of all sound engineers or is this another case of who cares its only the telly? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
December 15th 17 08:17 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 110
Blue Planet II Comes To iPlayer In 4K HDR by Java Jive[_2_]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220 "The BBC's Blue Planet II programme is to become its first TV series to be made available in 4K resolution and high dynamic range (HDR) colour via its iPlayer catch-up service. All seven episodes of the marine-themed show are being made available to UK-based owners of select TVs. Until now, the BBC had only released programmes in this format via
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 13th 17 07:17 AM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
27 218
Sony Android TV's and screen mirroring? by Kenny
Bravia 4K 2015, bought 2016, Screen Mirroring/Miracast not working right, I think it was a recent firmware update caused it though it always seemed a bit iffy. Laptop sees the TV and the desktop appears on TV but it seems to freeze there, doing anything on laptop is not followed on TV. It may appear 5 minutes or more later but slow and jerky. Mobile phone which connected to TV before now...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 12th 17 05:57 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
10 133
RFID wallets by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
In article , Woody wrote: Hold a bright LED torch behind the card and you can see the chip - very often in the lower right when the card is viewed from the front. A 2mm drill through the chip will kill it completely. Is it established that this does not invalidate the card or cause it to cease working via contact?
December 12th 17 09:33 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
0 108
Is it me? by Indy Jess John
On 06/12/2017 09:51, Brian Gaff wrote: However mysterious cock ups do often creep into programs like TV aerials in period dramas etc. My favourite was Miss Marple walking along a supposedly 1950s street and in the background was a cottage with UPVC double glazing. Jim
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 10th 17 08:42 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
21 198
How are you Fire TV folk going to see your YouTube from 01.01.18 by TonyGamble
The YouTube app on the Amazon Fire TV is not going to work after the end of this year. What do the folk who use it around here plan to do? Does one load a third party app on the Fire TV or bin it and buy something like a Roku? When I did my research a couple of months ago the spec of the new Fire TV was better than that of the Roku - but without YouTube I guess I'll rarely use it. Tony
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 10th 17 02:12 PM
by TonyGamble Go to last post
19 195
Pontop Pike by Bill Wright[_3_]
I watched that programme last night, the one on BBC1 about the teenage boy who seemed to be a girl in a boy's body. It was a very moving programme, but that's beside the point. There were lots of outdoor shots, and trying to be atmospheric and show what a **** tip Co Durham is (when you're a meeja person) there were shots of the huddled-together rooftops. I froze the frame a few times and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 10th 17 11:36 AM
by The Other John[_2_] Go to last post
24 187
Bitrates by Vir Campestris
.... a thought from the other thread. Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV streams good enough to be watchable? What bitrate are they? Andy
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 10th 17 09:57 AM
by Robin[_8_] Go to last post
21 295
sky fitters and roofs by Andy Burns[_12_]
Neighbour has had a dish on chimney for years, and pays the sky tax, he asked about sky Q the other day, it sounded like the features would suit them, so today a sky van appeared outside their house, I knew it'd need a new wideband LNB, and assumed they'd just swap it, or maybe replace the whole dish for good measure. Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 9th 17 07:29 PM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
16 172
Things you miss on tv when you cannot see. by Brian Gaff
Apparently the lady presenting the weather the other night only had one arm. I'd never have known from the voice...:-) I mean is this really that unusual? Not everyone is the same after all. Ask the same person what the forecast said they could not tell you as they were too busy worrying about her missing arm. Oh dear. Brian
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 9th 17 06:46 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
29 191
So what is the new 10K standard I'm hearing the new hdmi cable standard supports, by Brian Gaff
And do we really need yet another standard? Is this for screens as big as the wall of your house? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 8th 17 08:47 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
10 177
Radio I Player vs Podcasts? by Brian Gaff
I don't know if this also happens on TV but recently say in the last 6 months or so when listening to certain radio programs, on R4 mainly either live or on I player, you hearer, for an extended version of this interview, download the podcast of this program. If they consider a longer version good enough, why not simply broadcast it and make the programme longer? There already lots of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 8th 17 02:30 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
33 261
microwave oven power consumption by Graham C
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:01:50 +0000, Bill Wright wrote: On 22/11/2017 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote: Sadly since they work on all or nothing principals its hard to judge as the only power control they have is on and off cycles. Magnetrons are not very easy to adjust the power of. I thought the inverter ones could adjust the power. My micros don't
December 6th 17 03:00 PM
by Ian Jackson[_7_] Go to last post
7 113
When they show old stuff... by Brian Gaff
Does anyone even bother to listen to the sound track to see if you can actually understand it? An old episode of Colombo and one of the Avengers I encountered recently suggest that they do not. In the case of Colombo there seemed to be a kind of buzzing on the sound, while on the Avengers it sounded like some aggressive form of noise gate was being used that took away almost everything low...
December 5th 17 07:41 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 100
2018 Q1 700 MHz Clearance details by Mark Carver[_2_]
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/700mhz_clearance/clearance_events_in_q1_2018 Reigate becomes an SFN with Crystal P Haslemere gains the three main COM muxes Ridge Hill appears to be moving to Hertfordshire -- Mark Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 5th 17 12:20 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
129 750