Post New Thread
ITV channels off air on Freeview? by sirsurfalot
Is it just me or are ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 off air? All others channels working fine. Was watching ET on ITV2 and the screen went blank. ITV1 in my region (UTV) is working fine. Anyone else noticing this?
August 6th 06 08:26 PM
by sirsurfalot Go to last post
0 175
Ghostly Lines or Banding across TV screen - any help? by The High Council
Sorry if this is the wrong forum guys (if it is I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction) but I am experiencing a problem with my old Philips Black Lines 28PW6324 widescreen tv. I have noticed that a kind of 'banding' or set of ghostly lines can be seen whenever the picture goes dark. This is when watching DVD or Cable on the EXT channels of the tv. I've tried checking the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 6th 06 07:40 PM
by Stan The Man Go to last post
16 558
Can't tune DVD Recorder by Mark Carver
Amanda Brown wrote: I am an absolutely non-technical person, and I'm hoping someone here can solve a problem for me. I have a Sony Trinitron Digital TV and an LG DV1000 DVD Player/Video Cassette Recorder. I don't subscribe to Sky or anything like that -- Freeview is enough for me. I have been able to tune all the stations I want correctly on my TV -- for example, Film Four comes...
August 6th 06 05:01 PM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
0 213
Can't tune DVD Recorder by Gordon Dack
Possibly because the VCR is analogue only! and therefore cannot record freeview, just the 5 analogue channels. If you want to record freeview channels you need a PVR. "Amanda Brown" wrote in message ... I am an absolutely non-technical person, and I'm hoping someone here can
August 6th 06 04:56 PM
by Gordon Dack Go to last post
0 168
Freeview box - suggestions, please by Ian Malcolm
We bought a Freeview box (Alba) and have proved that it is expensive to buy cheap goods. It suffers from random losses of picture and / or sound which can only be cleared by a power-off reset: eugh! Can anyone suggest a) what features I should be looking for in a Freeview box b) makes / models to consider? Many thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 6th 06 04:43 PM
by Wan-to Go to last post
20 579
HDTV Best Buy recommendations/Brands by
I had (past tense) the Samsung WS32Z419D (the digital/freeview version of the WS32Z409D) and the first one was good, some small geometry issues but overall pleased with the *broadcast* picture. However any SD input via SCART or S-Video (SKY/VCR/DVD) was terrible. Modern DVDs (LOTR for example) were fine, but digitally re-mastered older programs (from the BBC) like "Smiley's People" gave strange...
August 6th 06 12:06 PM
by Go to last post
0 173
No more transmitter information on Ceefax by charles
In article , BrainTeaser wrote: Looking this morning at Ceefax it says there will be no more transmitter information on page 698 after 11 August. Instead you will need to visit the website for information. when responsibility for Ceefax passed from Presentation to News, Engineering Info had to pay News to carry p698 info. Perhaps the price became...
August 6th 06 10:59 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
7 369
Long GOP from Film4 by John Howells
For the first time last night I recorded from Film4 on Freeview (BTW, the bit-rate was 3.05Mb/s). VideoReDo reports that the longest GOP was 42, compared with the 12 that is usual. When Five changed encoders in December 2004 and started using GOPs of about this size there were complaints that it caused problems on some receivers, though I do not know which. Fairly quickly Five changed to the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 6th 06 08:57 AM
by Steve Roberts Go to last post
10 489
BBC Freesat by Robert
IIRC last year BBC announced that they would be launching a Freesat service in the early part of 2006. I could not find any mention of it on their website and have not received a reply to an email I sent them requesting an update - does anyone know if their Freesat idea has been cancelled? -- Robert
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 6th 06 07:23 AM
by Dave Fawthrop Go to last post
12 448
Battle of Britain film by Mike GW8IJT
On More 4 last night at 9pm, loads of freezes and on two occasions the film actually ran in reverse. Amateur film night at the village hall would have been more professional. Regards Mike.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 5th 06 11:10 PM
by Ian Go to last post
11 328
How often are the over-the-air settop box updates? by h
How long does it take for an update to come around again if you miss one? Bought a ferguson PVR1T, nice little box, not too buggy. Old firmware, though, and I missed the over-the-air update by a week - how long am I going to have to wait? And why are so few transmitted at a time? Surely it would only take a fraction of the bandwidth needed for a TV channel to broadcast every known STB's...
August 5th 06 09:51 PM
by Simon Slavin Go to last post
2 707
CH 5 last night by Dave Plowman (News)
I'm a bit of a CSI freak and always watch it on Tuesday if I'm in. Pretty well always off Freeview as my analogue C5 signal is iffy - strange considering where I live having line of sight to CP some 5 miles away. Last night the signal was breaking up badly - although this mainly put holes in the sound, with some picture disturbance. Topfield PVR being used as tuner. Flipping around during the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 5th 06 04:17 PM
by Ian Go to last post
18 541
HDTV Best Buy recommendations/Brands by [email protected]
Sorry if this has been covered before or is easily googled but I've looked hard and had little success. Where can I find a good unbiased best buy table for LCD HDTVs, something like www.Which.co.uk I'm particularly interested in which are the best brands, and the best models. If anybody wishes to give me specific recommendation then my general
August 5th 06 11:06 AM
by Pyriform Go to last post
5 1,767
Yet another bug with WinDVR3 by Agamemnon
Ontop of the bug with all Intervideo encoders where the sound is never in sync with the picture which has not been fixed by Intervideo in over 2 years WinDVR3's time record function is bugged as well. When you set WinDVR to record using the timer schedule a video window pops up just before the programme is supposed to start recording. If you then minimize that window so that it doesn't bug...
August 4th 06 11:24 PM
by Agamemnon Go to last post
0 242
my suspicions are confirmed by Bill Wright
It's a long time since I tested any LNBs. Tonight I went out to my dish farm to find out why one of the dishes was working badly. It had been belted by a clumsy gardener and was soon put right. The evening was mild so I thought that since I'd got the gear our I'd do a few comparitive tests on two of the LNBs we use nowadays. I could find no significant difference in c/n ratio between the...
August 4th 06 10:20 PM
by housetrained Go to last post
2 246
15:9 or 16:9 by Scott
I bought a 17 inch TV yesterday (Toshiba 17WLT56B). Started reading the instructions and it says the screen ratio is 15:9. My first reaction is that this is extremely odd for equipment sold for use in the UK and I need to decide whether it is fit for purpose. Could anyone venture an opinion on: 1) Is 15:9 used in the USA or Japan and just imposed on the UK market? 2) Is 15:9 a recognised...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 4th 06 04:19 PM
by David Taylor Go to last post
36 1,309
BBC Engineering by Pawley by John Mann
In message , BrainTeaser writes The rare book 'BBC Engineering' by Edward Pawley is for sale on Ebay. I wonder what price it will reach. http://tinyurl.com/zb78h A superb book. I wonder what an updated edition covering the last 35 years would be like. Perhaps just one additional page saying "sold it
August 4th 06 08:39 AM
by charles Go to last post
1 359
Digital tv problem by linkuk
I have NTL and samsung set top box. Increasingly it seems to have a mind of its own with it hopping between channels and from a channel to interactive. I rang customer service and they suggested i take the batteries from the remote and then let them know if it still happened. With this being a random problem i will have to check over a period of time. My question is why would taking the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 2nd 06 07:02 PM
by Ivan Go to last post
19 700
VHS vcr with scart/svideo out by nick
Capturing my old vhs-c tapes onto my pc. My video only has composite via scart, and the quality is rubbish. What new vcr's (there are not many available) have s-video out? Reading the spec's on these tells me nothing.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 2nd 06 03:54 AM
by nick Go to last post
23 726
Is televison dead? by Bazzer Smith
Just got a new computer monitor with 1280X1024 resolution, well thats good enough for HDTV isn't it? I can watch TV on it via a Freeview dongle, and record it too, so why should I fork out for a HDTV (and recorder etc....) when my PC can do all that stuff? Seems like I would be better off investing in a big computer monitor and having the flexibility a PC offers.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 1st 06 09:22 PM
by ThePunisher Go to last post
24 803