Post New Thread
Dipole construction technique question. by [email protected]
Hello all, This photo: http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/simplest_ant.jpg from this page: http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/pictures.htm
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 14th 16 10:37 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
12 513
Dumb TV? by dave
I'm thinking about replacing my 10-year-old 720p TV with something more modern. However, like some others on this group, I don't want a 'smart' TV with features which will be obsolete in a year or two when the manufacturer stops updating them, nor do I want to be spied upon or pestered with adverts. One idea is to get a professional display panel with HDMI input and feed it from something...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 12th 16 02:11 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
51 1,351
condensation in CCTV camera by Bill Wright[_3_]
I have an SD dome camera, a Night Devil, a good product in its day, it's about five years old and has never been used. It's been in its box in the stockroom all that time. Well, I thought I'd make use of it, but after about three hours a patch of moisture developed on the surface of the sensor. This could be dispersed by the application of warmth but it would soon re-form. On examination it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 11th 16 08:58 PM
by Kenny Go to last post
21 1,457
Apple TV by Brian Gaff
OK I give up. What is this exactly? Is it basically a tv box ie a box one adds to the tv, to get internet stuff and do clever stuff with it? I'm particularly interested due to it apparently having speech, and at the moment its the 'smart' apps on tvs that do not have speech, at least this is so on Panasonic and Samsung tvs with smart features. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting...
February 11th 16 07:42 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
2 267
Indoor television aerial by Mr Pounder Esquire
We have been given a Logic L22FEDWI2 television. The wife would like it in the bedroom, I wouldn't but that is a different matter. I was told it was not working, but it works fine. An indoor aerial will be needed. The last time I saw such an aerial it was one of those rabbits ears things. Google has blown my mind with these things! Do they just sit behind the telly and work, or do they plug...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 10th 16 09:05 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
200 3,047
The Super Bowl by Davey
Bearing in mind that advertising during this event costs eye-watering amounts of money for even a few seconds, what did the BBC pay to show it live tonight? Just wondering..... -- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 10th 16 05:36 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
17 435
Software defined radio by Paul D Smith[_2_]
Something the group might be interested in, with apologies to those already 'in the know'. Software Defined Radio uses the power of modern PCs to decode radio signals using free applications such as GNUradio. The basic idea is: - A USB connected 'stick' that can receive a very wide range of frequencies - The stick digitizes over about an 8MHz wide centre frequency and passes the signal to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 9th 16 05:03 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
21 513
Storm Imogen by George[_4_]
Right we saw how those Northern poofs couldn't cope with a little drop of water. Watch and learn from how us Southerners how to do the job properly over the next few days.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 9th 16 07:39 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
23 860
UK [DAB] radio disturbance caused by satellite network bug by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35463347 This means that the whole UK DAB radio network is dependent on GPS provided by the grace and favour of the USA. WTF were they doing anyway - terrestrial radio transmitters don't move so once you have their locations accurately ONCE you can lock them all together (phase / frequency) repeatably using the same parameters.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 8th 16 01:17 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
113 1,708
Green nonsense by Alan Pemberton[_2_]
Dear Colin, This from the SYT website: "West Bar will be closed to traffic whilst further resurfacing work takes place as part of the Grey to Green urban improvement scheme." Are they really improving the roads by painting them green instead of grey, disrupting all the traffic in the process?
February 8th 16 10:32 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
8 305
Which SDR dongle? by George[_4_]
So having read the thread I am bitten enough to want to play with a SDR dongle. Prices vary from a fiver to £200. Is there any major advantage to buying an expensive one to get a feel for what it does? Anything to avoid? I have installed SDRConsole V2.
February 7th 16 05:38 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
1 302
economic woman by Ian Field
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message ... On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:19:05 +0000, Bill Wright wrote: On Calendar just now: "And she boils water in the microwave rather than a kettle to save energy." Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 5th 16 02:45 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
75 1,161
HDMI screens/monitors and high rez audio by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
I've recently been writing a program to 'probe' HDMI monitors or screens to see what audio modes they accept. The results have prompted me to wonder about their limits. I've only seen results from a few. But all the ones I've got data on only work for LPCM sample rates up to 48k max. Which would leave 'high rez' audio out in the cold. (And when sent 44.1k the seem to dumbly resample it 48k upon...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 4th 16 06:21 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
27 671
Oh what a lot of bother I caused by Bill Wright[_3_]
My screwdriver brushed against the earth rail that runs around the outside of some types of mains spur unit, at the back. I shorted neutral to earth. The RCD switched off. I had the power back on within seconds, but... .... somehow Hil's office UPS was confused, and switched off. She lost some work and was mighty annoyed. .... The laser printer said, "Error error error" and wouldn't work...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 3rd 16 07:55 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
23 751
High definition copy protocol by Bill Wright[_3_]
What are the advantages and disadvantages to the TV viewer of setting the satellite receiver's HDCP default to on or off? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 3rd 16 03:57 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
14 481
SCART to HDMI by pinnerite
I have a number of VCR tapes that I would like to digitise. eBay show a large number of cheap adapter/converters of what looks like one manufacturer. I couldn't find any reviews. Has anyone had any experience of these? --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 3rd 16 09:51 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
10 522
Has BBC finally put Flash to bed by Kinnell
Now I have installed Firefox 44 with HTML5 and H264 browser viewing support, I notice no iPlayer popups asking for Flash activation.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 2nd 16 08:23 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
26 731
Sky remote control by Mr Pounder Esquire
Sky + HD box. One of the buttons on the remote was not working properly. Whilst looking in to it we used a remote from the previous non HD box. I noticed that the standbye button was not working, it had worked fine on this box in the past. The LED was not flashing when the button was press. The batteries are new. Google was my friend and I fixed the HD remote, full of muck. Flushed with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 1st 16 05:23 PM
by Mr Pounder Esquire Go to last post
12 295
1Gb download speed - in Canada by Geoff Pearson
One of the world's duller countries is quite exciting for internet connections. Where in Britain can we get 1GB down/50Mb up? http://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet
February 1st 16 09:27 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
9 364
Advice on digitising VCR tape by Lobster
I have been asked to extract a short video film (a very precious wedding video) on VHS cassette into a 21st century format so it can be viewed again. I need to decide whether to send it off somewhere to be done 'professionally', or DIY it? If so, any suggestions as to what kit would give decent enough results (given that the video was pretty crappy 1980s VCR quality anyway; but I don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 31st 16 10:20 PM
by Mike[_19_] Go to last post
24 690