Post New Thread
Sudden expenditure by Bill Wright[_3_]
I was annoyed about C4HD coming off Freesat because we like to watch 24 Hours in A & E and thought we wouldn't be able to see the gore so clearly in SD. Ages ago Swiss Classic on 13E went onto DVB S2 so my twenty quid box wouldn't relay it into the CCTV distribution anymore. I've decided to kill two or more birds. The Humax Freesat box will be connected to the 13E feed and set to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 7th 18 09:45 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
75 542
snow affecting reception by Bill Wright[_3_]
At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with calls about poor or no reception....
March 7th 18 09:14 AM
by tony sayer Go to last post
9 218
Classic-FM on DAB by tony sayer
In article , Adrian Caspersz scribeth thus On 26/02/18 19:08, Chris Hogg wrote: Has Classic-FM stopped broadcasting down here in West Cornwall? Under the trades descriptions act, under general rules about passing-off and misrepresentation, all stations trading as something-FM on DAB should be immediately renamed to...
March 7th 18 09:02 AM
by tony sayer Go to last post
0 168
Oh well, can't do this anymore ... by Adrian Caspersz
https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/14901514886/sizes/o/ :-) (Brian, skit from Viz magazine - Maplin shops approved as wedding chapels) -- Adrian C
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 7th 18 08:19 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
14 259
Weird recording issue by PeterC
Trying to record BBC 1 Look East on Freesat 954 (due to the situation re. Councils in Northants). Selecting Series does nothing; selecting Single is OK, but if I just flick through the days setting this for a week the future schedule disappears after 1 recording is made. This means that I have to set the recording every day. On a Hummy Foxsat HDR. -- Peter.
March 7th 18 07:28 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
8 192
Slow Humax PVR 9200 by Ivan
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in the West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if there will be one arriving in...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 5th 18 08:07 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
138 4,895
Free Book :-) by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
Just to let people know that I have now made freely available a PDF version of the book I wrote mumble years ago on Information and Measurement. Can be obtained from http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/InformationAndMeasurement_PDF_Book.pdf The explanations use various examples like CD Players, etc, to illustrate the underlaying methods and science. Cheers,
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 3rd 18 09:47 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
50 451
Global positioning by Brian Gaff
I ride in a lot of taxis, and am often amused by the sat nav that many of the non English drivers seem to use. In the country they are fine, but in the built up towns you often get them missing turns and all sorts. One guy said to me in a broken English, I blame all this satellite TV for interfering with them. I did think about trying to explain how the two would not affect each other but...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 1st 18 01:39 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
125 843
childhood inventions by [email protected]
I was brought up in a house that was a few hundred yards from the edge of a vast estate of council and NCB houses. If anyone's interested it was on Middlegate, Scawthorpe, Doncaster. We often used to walk up the hill to the field at the side of the quarry, from where there was a view across the estate and also across parts of Bentley. I used to fantasise about broadcasting to the estate from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 1st 18 12:55 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
114 2,118
Update today - ITV3 by Jeff Layman[_2_]
According to A516digital, the update today was: "Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but with increased resolution." Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean? Is it likely that other stations will follow? -- Jeff
March 1st 18 12:05 PM
by NY Go to last post
6 377
Induction loops by Brian Gaff
Another form of transmission is the induction loop, often used by those with hearing aids. I never did figure out quite how these seemed to work quite as well as they did even in quite large aareas. I expected to see some mega wire wound multiple times around the target area, but when I looked it was about as thick as a mains cable going around the area. I know a number of early tvs could...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 1st 18 01:57 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
20 294
Rugby - live in 1937? by Scott[_2_]
The commentator says the first live TV broadcast of the rugby international was 80 years ago, in 1938. How did they do that? There was only one transmitter (Alexandra Palace) and the match was presumably played at Murrayfield or Twickenham. Would GPO lines be used? Which system was used - Baird or Marconi?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 18 09:33 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
15 268
Sony Radio Repair by Norman Wells[_6_]
I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed what appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the speaker but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem to think it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing. It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have the confidence to fiddle about with something so small...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 27th 18 08:35 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
27 2,349
Galileo ever come on stream? by Brian Gaff
I was listening to a presentation by a company talking about the various spacecraft supported by their sat nav and they said it was Galileo ready after a software update. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it must be at least a decade ago, these craft were supposed to be going into orbit for the European gps system. Its still not working? Blimey I bet its cost zillions! Brian -- ----- -
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 23rd 18 06:25 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
66 415
Licence fee to increase by Brian Gaff
is this to pay Freesat and freeview new hiked costs then? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
February 23rd 18 06:21 PM
by Andrew[_6_] Go to last post
1 134
I though Raydex originated the CT100 name... by Bill Wright[_3_]
http://www.webro.com/ct100-cable/ Interesting anyway. Bill
February 22nd 18 08:28 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
0 136
Youview Question by Jeff Gaines
There is an advert for Youview on Mellow Magic which says you need a minimum broadband speed of 2 Megabytes per second. It seemed odd to me since BB speeds are usually specified as Megabits per second. The Youview site says 3 Mbps is required. It seems to me the advert is wrong, any thoughts? -- Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
February 21st 18 11:19 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 137
Problems today with muxes 7 and 8 by Bill Wright[_3_]
Today the GI was increased from 1/128 to 1/16 on muxes 7 and 8. GI is guard interval. It’s been increased today from 1/128 to 1/16 so they can operate single frequency networks because of the shortage of channels starting in March when we lose channels above 49. It appears that some but not all Sonys are now blind to mux 7 and there are also problems with some Panasonics. Thanks Mark...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 20th 18 10:14 PM
by The Other John[_2_] Go to last post
69 843
New technologies? by Pinnerite
Right now we have a mix of standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD). Currently marketed are 4K televisions with amazing images. We can stream 4K from commercial sources provided we are prepared to pay for the fibre-optic connection and streaming source. Is that it for broadcast TV or is there currently any research currently seeking to squeeze more out of the available bands? (Just...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 17th 18 08:39 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
43 542
Foxsat HDR not recording by PeterC
The Humax Foxsat HDR has stopped recording anything unless started manually. The info. on a programme is OK in the EPG and Media list but is haywire for the 'live' programme, being several hours out and for the programme at that time. Ive tried a hard reboot but that's done nothing. Any ideas please? -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 13th 18 09:35 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
32 493