Post New Thread
CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum by Bill Wright[_3_]
I haven't seen any. Seems odd. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 12th 17 02:15 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
24 232
Flight by Bill Wright[_3_]
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now. The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely obscured, black with red spots. They struggle,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 10th 17 07:23 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
18 187
Creative advert frequency. by Brian Gaff
Seems to me that ever since the commercial channels were allowed a bit more advert in the hour and no restriction on when they appearr, many of the longer shows such as Marple or midsummer Murders etc, carry few near the start but pack them in every five minutes near the end, completely ruining the plot flow. Then they have the nerve to plug the itv hub paid for option where you can watch...
October 10th 17 07:07 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 109
SEVEN - ITV4 by Pinnerite
According to The Sunday Times Culture's TV listings, the film 'Seven' is due to be broadcast on ITV4 at 10 pm on Monday 9 October and at 11:20 pm on the same channel (24) on 14 October. Neither show up in the listings on my MythTV-Freeview-T2-compliant computer. Anyone know why not? -- Mageia 5.1 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.82-desktop-1.mga5
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 17 03:12 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
13 194
[OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets by Pinnerite
I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some old double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets. Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB. Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and carry no current until a plug is inserted? If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the benefit of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 9th 17 11:52 AM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
24 242
The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews by Ian Jackson[_7_]
This should be fun. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/the-latest-idea-from-a-brexit-o fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html http://bit.ly/2yrE0Ia -- Ian
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 9th 17 07:43 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
40 311
Duty cycle and transmitters by Brian Gaff
I was pondering something the other day about the use of bandwidth and how hard the transmitters had to work. In the old analogue days where a single channel took up a whole 8 meg chunk, much of the time being AM the transmitter was not working that hard, but today as they are multiplexes and tuning over them with an analogue radio shows the whole 8 megs to be basically a broadband constant...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 9th 17 12:27 AM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
83 508
coverage in Europe from the UK Freesat and Sky satellite clusternominally at 28E by Bill Wright[_3_]
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know things have changed in recent years. Bill
October 8th 17 04:54 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
8 149
Am I seeing things ? by Phi
The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2 simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 6th 17 11:49 AM
by pamela Go to last post
15 166
Does live matter any more? by Brian Gaff
I was just musing over the current trend to watch on demand and was wondering what this will do to live events. after all in the old days people could watch most stuff live but nowadays its often a pay to view for sport or some other event, and thus nobody will want to talk to their mates as one will no doubt spill the beans about what happened in the latest instalment of something or sport...
October 5th 17 04:11 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 113
calling all physicists by Bill Wright[_3_]
Apparently shock waves can travel trough the air at speeds exceeding that or normal sounds. In that case, if an electromagnetic shock wave was generated could it travel faster than the speed of light? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 5th 17 04:00 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
58 320
BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened? by larkim
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD. When will this ever arrive!!??!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 3rd 17 07:54 PM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
109 812
Modem uptime record by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
On checking my VDSL modem uptime today, I see it has maintained a solid internet connection for exactly 100 days, the longest it has ever managed without a reboot (usually around 3 or 4am). I feel I ought to celebrate, but I'm not sure what would be best. There is a more recent firmware version for it, and I was considering updating it, but the foregoing looks like a very good reason to...
October 2nd 17 09:38 AM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
3 141
bbc inacuracies by Brian Gaff
When the Casini probe was due to crash into Saturn the news said it was running out of power in its nuclear generator. This was not only untrue, but other bbc programs like BBC Inside Science had got it right, saying it was low on fuel for the jets that pointed it when gyros were not suitable. I just wonder why they do not actually get an expert in for news reports when they are writing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 2nd 17 12:41 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
73 591
Epsom things by Dave W
Joan, I didn't manage to fit in a visit to the Ashley church jumble, but I did investigate various things you told me. The church has just one disabled bay for "Church Visitors", so maybe not for jumble sales. All bays are private. I went into the closing-down shop. One of the men kept shouting at the top of his voice "everything half price". I bought you a pack of the tall pots
October 1st 17 05:46 PM
by Dave W Go to last post
8 111
Interesting Gadget by Phi
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/marseille-mcable-gaming-edition/ No comment.
October 1st 17 03:23 PM
by Davey Go to last post
5 131
Video on file hippo by Brian Gaff
I could not see it but I heard it, are they really saying that all the military are now going over to X Box controllers for their cheapness? Weird man. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
October 1st 17 07:59 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 102
Does BBC track what you have watched on iPlayer ? by Phi
I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes, there are none displayed that I have watched. I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember that I have a licence.
September 30th 17 12:45 PM
by Phi Go to last post
7 114
5 HD on Freesat EPG by PeterC
For the last few days Channel 5 HD hasn't been on Freesat's EPG. It's there for 4 - 5 days but not for days 6 and 7. 5 SD is there but another 5... (can't recall which one) is also missing a couple of days. Anyone else seen this? It's a v. minor nuisance as I tend to go through the EPG for the day a week ahead. There's very little on 5 that's worth watching, mainly because the overall format,...
September 28th 17 04:49 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
5 108
BBC second-hand adverts by Andy Burns[_12_]
On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen to get displayed in their browser. Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 27th 17 12:57 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
16 163