Digital TV Card

Old July 10th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jackie

Default Digital TV Card

Hi I am thinking of replacing my analogue tv card with a digital tv card so
I can get freeview. However I am not sure if I can receive a digital signal
as the nearest digital transmitter is about 20 miles away. Is there any way
I can use my present tv card (Hauppauge) to find out if I can receive
freeview?

Jackie

Old July 11th 03, 12:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ben

Jackie wrote:
Hi I am thinking of replacing my analogue tv card with a digital tv card so
I can get freeview. However I am not sure if I can receive a digital signal
as the nearest digital transmitter is about 20 miles away. Is there any way
I can use my present tv card (Hauppauge) to find out if I can receive
freeview?

My nearest transmitter is over 30 miles away and I get digital TV fine
with a small aerial in the loft. Being able to receive analogue channel
5 can be a guide, and you can check your postcode on the freeview website.

Old July 11th 03, 01:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

wowfabgroovy writes
or just get a normal freeview box from argos to test the
signal with and then take it back and buy a freeview card.

NB: Argos specifically exclude DTT boxes from their 16(?)day money-back
guarantee thing.

--
Dave
Old July 11th 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"wowfabgroovy" wrote in message

not really. but a good indication would be whether you get a good
signal with channel 5 or not.

The reception of C5 might indicate how well your aerial does with out of group
channels but in reality the presence of C5 has no bearing on DTT, in many places
it comes from different transmitter masts from the main PAL or DTT services, and
may own be 1/10 of the usual analogue power.

Az.

Old July 11th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jackie

maplins sell the avertv card under their fetch it back if it doesn't work
guarantee,

That is not a Digital tv card as far as I can tell
Jackie

Old July 11th 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jackie

"Jackie" wrote in message

maplins sell the avertv card under their fetch it back if it doesn't work
guarantee,

That is not a Digital tv card as far as I can tell

Sorry, I only found one to start with, there is a DTTV version
Jackie

Old July 12th 03, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Imber

Being able to receive analogue channel 5 can be a guide,

Totally useless - C5 often comes from different TX do DTTV

Tell someone this in west Worcester - Malvern does 4 PAL 6 MUX and no C5,
people are told if you want C5 get Digital TV!

Same applies to Bromsgrove - get DTTV fine and no PAL C5