BBC no change

Old July 10th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

Default BBC no change

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:16:17 +0100, David Quinton
wrote:

| On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:09:19 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| I would like to get Look North
|
| Masochist!

Yesterday they had Paul Hudson our Weather Person, on the sheep winners
rostrum?, at the Great Yorkshire Show, giving the Weather forcast while
being savaged by a sheep. (well the sheep just wanted some more food).

I kid you not.
It was hilarious.

Dave Fawthrop Reading threads which are both
bottom and top posted is a pain in the *rs*. Posts should be trimmed
and bottom posted. http://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-information.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

Old July 10th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
"Aztech" wrote:

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
"HJK" wrote:

Line 23 is NOT the proper W/S signalling in MPEG-2 as it is W/S

signalling
used in analog

I can assure you that line 23 is used extensively (as it should be) in
continental widescreen transmissions. Pin 8 is inferior in any case.

That doesn't mean its right,

Oh it does. It's a vastly superior system.

Only if you're determined to use vastly inferior systems like RF distribution
and old VCR's.

Az.

Old July 10th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ray Bellis

Aztech wrote:

Oh it does. It's a vastly superior system.

Only if you're determined to use vastly inferior systems like RF
distribution and old VCR's.

Not entirely...

line 23 switching does appear to at least know the difference between
letterbox and anamorphic (as well as 4:3, of course) and allows suitably
equipped TVs to automatically select 'zoom' rather than 'wide' mode for
letterboxed transmissions.

It's also compatible with CVBS, S-Video and Component (YUV) signalling,
allowing wide-screen switching on systems driven by (for example) non-EU
market devices without SCART sockets on them.

Ray

Old July 10th 03, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
Simon Gardner wrote:
In article ,
"David" wrote:

Also Fta digi reciever also clear. (but w/s switching not ok, will check
settings.)

The BBC dosn't use proper line 23 w/s switching as used on satellite TV
elsewhere but relies on pin 8 switching only. It's less likely your real
digital receiver will know what to do with a pin 8 signal

Pin 8 isn't used for w/s switching - that's scart control - 12v.

The device puts out 6v on pin 8 if it's an anamorphic picture.

Az.

Old July 10th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Badlad

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:33:52 +0100, "Mark Carver"
wrote:

| Simon Gardner [dot]co[dot]uk wrote:
| In article ,
| "David" wrote:
|
| Also Fta digi reciever also clear. (but w/s switching not ok, will
| check settings.)
|
| The BBC dosn't use proper line 23 w/s switching as used on satellite
| TV elsewhere but relies on pin 8 switching only. It's less likely
| your real digital receiver will know what to do with a pin 8 signal
|
| The BBC England Regions tests had line 23 idents on them last time I

looked.

| BTW Simon, your PC clock is an hour fast :-)

Anyone worked out what the $ky channel numbers are for the regions yet?
I would like to get Look North on my $ky box without a dozen keystrokes on
the remote.

Dave F

946 BBC 1 Yorkshire and North Midlands Look North Leeds
947 BBC 1 East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Look North Hull

Old July 10th 03, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil

In article , Aztech
wrote:

Every broadcaster sends out either a 4:3 or 16:9 flag in the GOP
headers, this is the "proper" way of doing things on DVB, this is what
triggers the Pin 8 value (or possibly generate 23 in some boxes). I
don't see why you think it's "inferior" unless you still have a
predilection for linking everything up via RF, or have old VCR's, or you
like watching broadcasters who cannot engineer things "properly".

As for AFD's, they're not sent out on DSat.

Az.

PHIL: Since I distribute the outputs of the DTT, Dsat, Sky and other
sources around the house, only the adjacent TV benefits from the pin8
switching on the SCART lead.

I am pleased to see that the new Pace Twin DTT recorder flags the output
signals so that my remote devices are automatically switched correctly.
This equally applies to domestic camera playout etc.

Since the signal is ultimately distributed in analogue formats (composite
for 2.4GHz links with stereo sound, or YC , it is beneficial for the D to
A box to add the appropriate analogue switching signal!

I agree it need not be done by the broadcaster - it SHOULD be done by each
box manufacturer to avoid the stupid 'auto' modes on most widescreen tvs.

It also works on the rf redistributions too.

--
Phil Spiegelhalter:
==== Technical Training for Broadcasters =====

Old July 11th 03, 06:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Quinton

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:28:41 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Yesterday they had Paul Hudson our Weather Person, on the sheep winners
rostrum?, at the Great Yorkshire Show, giving the Weather forcast while
being savaged by a sheep. (well the sheep just wanted some more food).

I kid you not.
It was hilarious.

Must admit that it was great fun last night watching all the different
BBC1 regional programmes from 18:30 - 19:00.

My initial observations:
"Midands Today" (which includes Lincoln, my county's city - not
included in Belmont) is just as bad as "Look North"

Some of the Regional programming *is* in proper 16:9, with excellent
picture quality

My CCTV camera is of a higher quality than those used in BBC's Hull
studios

But it was really nice to be able to tour the country - can't wait for
the day when the Channel Islands joins in!
--
Vispa Internet - a real star performer!
http://www.vispaconnect.co.uk/index.php?referer=bizorg
Old July 11th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

David Quinton writes
Must admit that it was great fun last night watching all the different
BBC1 regional programmes from 18:30 - 19:00.

A sort-of DIY version of the old 'UK Today'?

--
Dave
Old July 11th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

wrote:

Yesterday they had Paul Hudson our Weather Person, on the sheep winners
rostrum?, at the Great Yorkshire Show, giving the Weather forcast while
being savaged by a sheep. (well the sheep just wanted some more food).

I kid you not.
It was hilarious.

Must admit that it was great fun last night watching all the different
BBC1 regional programmes from 18:30 - 19:00.

My initial observations:
"Midands Today" (which includes Lincoln, my county's city - not
included in Belmont) is just as bad as "Look North"

Some of the Regional programming *is* in proper 16:9, with excellent
picture quality

Only BBC LDN and East Midlands it seems, very pretty though.

Az.

Old July 11th 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

Some of the Regional programming *is* in proper 16:9, with excellent
picture quality

Only BBC LDN and East Midlands it seems, very pretty though.

Tunbridge Wells should also be widescreen. These are all newish digital
installations, whereas the other regions are analogue PAL setups.
Birmingham, Norwich and Hull are all due to move to new premises so should
also convert to digital operations.